Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fix file association for .swf

May 12, 2010 May 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So after updating to CS5 i have this problem that the .swf files lost their file association to open the .swf localy... in the program list i dont have anywhere flash player and i dont know what to do to make the .swf open like they did before? any ideas?

TOPICS
ActionScript , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2010 May 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After not being able to find any information on fixing this, I tried some of my own solutions, and this one works.

To fix broken swf file association

Open Windows Explorer...Tools...Folder Options...File Types

Scroll to swf and delete it

Try to open an swf and select IE and click ALWAYS USE THIS PROGRAM

IE will try to open the file, click CANCEL

Go back to File Types and scroll down to the new swf entry

Click Advanced

Click Open under the actions box and click EDIT

In the Application used to perform this action: box type the following

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS5\Players\FlashPlayer.exe" %1

(assuming you installed flash in the default location)

In the Application: box chance IEXPLORE to FlashPlayer

Click OK...OK...Close

SWF's will now open with the flash player!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 30, 2010 May 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG thanks that TOTALY fixed it... thanks a lot just small problem the icons changed... they are not with the swf icon :X can you tell me some trick about that too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(you should mark his answer as correctly answering your thread, not just mark your thread as answered.  now, at least, mark it helpful.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go back into the TOOLS...OPTIONS...SWF etc etc...above the open under the actions box there should be a CHANGE ICON button, use that and navigate to the FlashPlayer.exe file and in that file there are icons to use.

Now today I rebooted my computer and it forgot the swf association, if this happens, go back to the TOOLS...OPTIONS etc etc and when you click the swf entry in the list, there should be a RESTORE button, click that and it should say using Adobe Flash Player 10.1.r52

You should be all set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 31, 2010 May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS A LOT it totaly fixed my problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2011 Dec 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on windows 7 and don't have the option to delete file association. Where is flash player 11 installed to so I can refer to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I know this post is very old, but the problem is current. I had the same problem yesterday and I was able to manage it to work as usual again. Here's how i got it working again:

1. Open regedit.

2. Find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/.swf (if you have Adobe flash pro CSx, just right click and delete it, else, make sure the key data is like: name:(default), type: REG_SZ, value: ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash)

3. Find HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/FileExts/.swf ((if you have Adobe flash pro CSx, just right click and delete it, then go to step 5)

4. Expand .swf file extension folder, if you have UserChoice folder, simply delete it. Locate OpenWithProgids folder (if you can not find it, create a key named "OpenWithProgids" by right clicking the .swf folder. And in the right-hand-side panel, make sure there is a binary value like: name ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash, type: REG_NONE, value: (empty binary value), if not, create it by yourself by right clicking in the panel and selecting New > Binary Value)

5. Close regedit.

6. If you have Adobe flash pro CSx installed on your win 7, reinstall it.

7. Reboot your system.

Thats all, It was worked for me, i hope it works for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It worked for me, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines