Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Crashing and Freezing My Entire Mac

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully one of you kind people can help me out with this:

I have a 36 page document that I've put together over the last few months and it's due at the printers on Monday. This evening I copied and pasted the text from a series of cells within a csv file into the same number of cells within a table on one of my InDesign pages. I've done this on several past occasions without any problems but this evening InDesign has gone into meltdown. I'm getting the spinning wheel except it's not spinning and freezes on the screen at which point the entire Mac has frozen. I can open and edit other documents without any issues.

I have a 21.5" iMac with 4k Retina, 3.1ghz i5 processor, 16gb RAM, an Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 graphics card, and tons of hard disk space.

I'm really sweating on this one due to my deadline and would be grateful for any advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Hi All,

We are aware of this issue. Can you please turn off GPU performance and let us know if it fixes your problem?

Shown in red box below, is the preferences you need to turn OFF.

Picture1 (1).png

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue. Suddenly my Mac started to freeze when having the Adobe CC Suites open (mostly with InDesign). It happened quite a lot since now. It just freezes my Mac and it can only be shut down with the power button. Can somebody help please.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Please help Adobe. I can't work like this. ☹️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off GPU Acceleration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off the GPU works!! Nice! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version(s) of InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are aware of this issue. Can you please turn off GPU performance and let us know if it fixes your problem?

Shown in red box below, is the preferences you need to turn OFF.

Picture1 (1).png

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this problem with illustrator. Turning off the GPU seems to have resolved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue with indesign, a 24 page document! I have had the mac computer (10.12.4 OS) lock up on me 12 times this week! i've about had it! Finally contacted Adobe and Apple Support...Adobe was no help, but Apple found this forum topic and was able to resolve it. Disabling GPU performance solved the issue. I was getting some insane issues! Graphics problems, menus disappearing, InDesign was instantly devouring all memory. Get this fixed ASAP, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't assume that the problem is either strictly that or even partly that of Adobe software. There is nothing that an application program itself can do to totally lock up a computer under either MacOS or Windows. These applications themselves run in a mode under the operating system that prevents such system lockups or even system crashes due to anything the application itself does.

There have been numerous problems on both MacOS and Windows due to the graphics drivers provided either by the OS provider or the vendor of the graphics card or chip. Such drivers do run at a system level and can not only cause anomalies in the display, but also system hangs and crashes.

Disabling the GPU usage “solves” the immediate problem since the buggy driver code isn't called. Hopefully, the next MacOS release could provide provide relief from this problem and allow advanced applications to take advantage of the speed advantages of the GPU usage.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the helpful information, Dov. Is this something that Adobe will contact Apple about for them to resolve? I don't know if it's something us end users can escalate for an OS version release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple is aware of the problem!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad that I am not the only one with this issue. I'm fairly new to these programs though - can someone please tell me what difference turning off the GPU will make though? Will I notice anything different while using the program with it disabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen display and possibly some other operations (especially in Photoshop) will likely be slower if the GPU is not used. However, that is irrelevant if the GPU driver code prevents proper system operation. You don't lose any functionality, though!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've this exact issue with my iMac and even took it back to the store where they had it for a month trying to fix the issue. The could not repair the fault, which seems to have also affected my graphics - Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB as I started seeing cases of pixelated images on certain other software. Anyway after a month on trying to fix it, the ended giving me a brand new iMac.

With 5 days I had the problem again, Apple have told me this is an Adobe issue, however, I fail to see how InDesign can affect my graphics card. I have now switched off the GPU Performance and will monitor it from now on.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Upgrading your MAC OS to version 10.12.5 will solve your issue and allow you to use GPU performance at the same time.

Instead of using InDesign with GPU performance disabled on MAC OS 10.12.4,  I recommend upgrading to OS 10.12.5 and using InDesign with GPU performance enabled.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this problem with macOS 10.13.6. I have been very unhappy with many of these Adobe CC Apps. I would rather use CS6 but just bought this new MacBook Pro and can't download it from my account anymore for some reason. I never had these kinds of issues with CS6. I have also had all kinds of font issues that I have never had before. I have been using Adobe products since 2000. I just tried turning off the GPU performance under preferences. Fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the problem still remains under macOS 10.13.6 and InDesign 13.1, is this Adobe's fault or Apple's fault ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is an old thread. Please start a new one with full details of any issues you're having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines