• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File size GIF larger than PSD

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to export my cinemagraph in a GIF format. The original PSD file is 26 mb, but when I export it to Gif (without resizing) I end up having a file size of 146mb!!

How is that possible. In this way I'll never get a small Gif. Even if I downsize the file by 50% it is still 34 mb.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you exporting this from Photoshop?

Show screenshots please.

Have you used the save for web (legacy) feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I use 'save for web (legacy)'. In this example it becomes even larger. It seems to only appear after I have created the PSD file and I reopen it later.

Schermafbeelding 2017-04-21 om 11.23.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gif doesn't mean the file is "always" lighter than psd. If your image has a lot of colors (as in yours sample), it is normal that even if you save in gif it will be really big: to save space you need to reduce the amount of color from 256 to a lower amount, but your picture will not look good. I suggest you to choose PNG or JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback Bettina. Unfortunately PNG or JPG is not an option as I am trying to save a cinemagraph, so I'm dealing with a moving image (That's why the sceenshot you see looks like a terrible photo 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean you want to do an animation? Mabye it's better when you choose video file format (such as .mov, .mpeg) if you have all those colors...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I create an animation from a MOV file. Indeed MP4 is the way to go (also for quality), but it is not alway autoplaying the file when I post it on the web. That's why I choose for GIF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also have you looked at cutting down the frame rate within the cinema graph? I understand this probably seems not necessary when the PSD is so small but it may make a difference in the GIF.

Alternatively compress the Cinemagraph more in something like Handbrake and then try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion. Removing frames is what I also sometimes do. I've tried handbrake, but wasn't happy with the decline in image quality.

But what wonders me the most is when I create a new cinemagraph and I export it as a Gif the file size is reasonable OK. But as soon I made a small adjustment in the already saved and reopend PSD file, the file becomes double or triple the size than originally the case was. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why this is happening... perhaps someone like Trevor.Dennis​ can enlighten me as I know he participates in the Photoshop forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well just looking at your save for web options....

I would cut the width down to 1000 x relative or even W 750 x relative.

Also doesn't look like you need to preserve transparency.

I would agree with Bettina Di Virgilio​ and cut the colours used down to a lower amount as well to help with this. Going to even 200 Colours should help with file size.

Let us know how that helps with the file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done the adjustment you suggested. It is still 44 MB which is still too large for web use. I was aiming for 4mb 🙂 I guess I have too many frames

Schermafbeelding 2017-04-21 om 13.15.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try cut the colours back more and - I regret to say - reduce the dither down to something like 90-95% - although this could make it ugly pretty quickly...

As pointed out the other option may have to be lower the frame rate...

Or perhaps you could lower the Image resolution?

Final thought - What happens if you strip out the metadata and copyright info?

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another final option would be export it to mp4 or something.

Put it into Handbrake or Adobe Media Encoder (personally Handbrake does a better job) https://handbrake.fr/

Compress the file size down this way...

Then import this back into Photoshop and save as a GIF again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try that option too.

Strange to see, by the way, that if I deselect transparancy the file size will increase by 8 mb. I'm lost. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that makes zero sense!!

I wonder if this is something to do with Metadata...

What version of Photoshop are you running? Have you tried trashing your preferences etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm running the latest version. In the mean time I have trashed my preferences, but the file still increases when I deselect transparancy.

Schermafbeelding 2017-04-21 om 15.49.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines