• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE video preview output lag when working with UHD footage

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a top spec mac pro, AE 14.1.0.57, and my I/O is handled by an UltraStudio 4k by blackmagic.  My problem is that when I do a ram preview with UHD footage, playback in my computer composition monitor is real time, but my production monitor (fed by the ultraStudio 4k) runs about 1/2 speed. It has been this way for the last few versions of AE.  When working with HD footage, everything works fine. I should also mention, that all 4k footage I work with is either shot with a Panasonic GH4 (mp4 clips) or a Panasonic VeriCam LT (mxf clips).

I'm guessing Adobe with throw this issue at Blackmagic, but my hope is that someone else has experienced this and maybe has a work-a-round.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Try just setting the Comp resolution to Auto instead of full. I almost never have my comp resolution set to Full because 90% of my animation work is done with the full UI visible and my comp's are seldom at a Magnification factor of 100%. I only check a few hero frames at 100% with the Comp Panel maximized (~ key) to make sure that things are lined up properly, but all of my animation and my previews are done at Magnification factors of 50% or even 25% for 4K work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I found a work-a-round.  If I make a pre-comp of what would be my UHD output comp, but then change it to a HD comp and resize the precomp to %50, I can view the ram preview of that in real time.  So I do some work in the UHD comp, then tab over to the HD comp (containing  a precomp of my UHD comp at %50) and ram preview that.  Simple and Annoying, the hallmarks of any true work-a-round.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try just setting the Comp resolution to Auto instead of full. I almost never have my comp resolution set to Full because 90% of my animation work is done with the full UI visible and my comp's are seldom at a Magnification factor of 100%. I only check a few hero frames at 100% with the Comp Panel maximized (~ key) to make sure that things are lined up properly, but all of my animation and my previews are done at Magnification factors of 50% or even 25% for 4K work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting Comp resolution to Auto is not working. Setting Video Preview to Auto also produces the lag. Setting Video Preview to 1/4 produces the same lag.  Again, when I ram preview UHD, I see real time playback of cached frames on my computer monitor, but my production monitor lags.  It works fine in HD. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm getting the same thing. I noticed If I have the comp resolution set to 100% it plays back fine...but I don't have a 4k monitor so I can only see a small portion of what I'm working on when I do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines