• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is There a Way to Make a Path Thicker or a Color?

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently bought a 27" 5K iMac, which is a great computer so far. The monitor is amazing but it's so detailed that when I create a path in InDesign, the path is so thin that it gets lost in the image and I sometimes have to turn off the image layer so I can find the path. Is there a way to make the path (or the handles) thicker or a color so I can see it (them) easier?

I'm using CC 2014 but would upgrade to 2017 if I had to.

Thanks,

Lloyd

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can stroke a path with a Photoshop tool like a brush. Here I added an empty layer and stroked a path on it using a 4px hard red brush

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack,

Thanks for the tip. I already know how to stroke a path...what I'd like to do is make the path thicker (or a color) while I'm creating it so I can see it better, not after I'm finished creating it. 

Lloyd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you creating the path.   Photoshop tools like the Pen tool tries to create contrast between the path and document. Rubber band mode seems to be OK with most colors.  However at times it can be hard to see with some images content.  Adding a temp work color layer at some lower than 100% opacity can help

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had a problem until I bought this 5K iMac. The screen resolution is so high that it makes the path extremely thin, and right now I'm working with an image that has both dark and light areas. It's not so much the color but it's the thickness...or, I should say, thinness...of the path. Plus, it's difficult to click specifically on the handles because of the high resolution. I guess it's just a good problem to have. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Small pixels and old eyes tell me about it...  Dell now has an 8K display with 280dpi pixels.....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YIKES!!!  Actually, I might look into that.  hehe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, not for $4,000+ I won't!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make the paths more visible, I add a Color Fill Layer  with some sort of tan/olive color, set to 15% opacity. I keep the layer hidden when I'm not editing paths, making it visible while editing. It ghosts out the image enough to make the paths easier to see, and still see the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tend to use shape layers and use a stroke only. That way you can increase the thickness and color on the fly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines