Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stop Acrobat DC from Automatically Converting PDFs

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Every time I open a PDF file that has not already been converted to editable text and images, Acrobat immediately begins the process when I open the file.

I have cut apart many of my books and scanned them to pdf, and some of them are quite large. Not only does automatic conversion take time that I don't have, it doesn't always do the best job.

How do I stop this?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Hi maryk63683931,

As per the description mentioned above, you want OCR to not run automatically when trying to edit a scanned file in Acrobat, is that correct?

You may refer to the following links which discuss the same topic:

How can I disable automatic OCR when editing scanned documents?

Re: How do I stop auto convert to text in Acrobat DC when I want to edit a pdf?

Let me know if that is not the case.

Thanks,Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi maryk63683931,

As per the description mentioned above, you want OCR to not run automatically when trying to edit a scanned file in Acrobat, is that correct?

You may refer to the following links which discuss the same topic:

How can I disable automatic OCR when editing scanned documents?

Re: How do I stop auto convert to text in Acrobat DC when I want to edit a pdf?

Let me know if that is not the case.

Thanks,Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love how all the recommended links just lead you to a default support page with zero information pertinent to the subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much has changed in the 3 years since the original problem. Please describe your own problem, it may be different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was frustrated - and still baffled why this is so unintuitive, but I figured out the solution - which should be in this thread BECAUSE this thread comes up first on google when lookign for how to prevent Acrobat from automatically converting pages to editable text.

go ahead and click [edit PDF].

When the toolbar comes up there should be a section with "Scanned Documents".  under that is a settings gear. 

Click the settings gear...

In the dialog that comes up next, uncheck "Make all pages editable" and click ok.

Below the settings gear, there is another checkbox "Recognize Text" uncheck that if you don't want acrobat to scan for any text.

After you close, these settings should persist. 

Why isn't this somehow available in the preferences or something, I don't know. Automatically changing my document in a way I don't want is annoying. I often do PDFs without text, and just want to be able to crop off the white margins... why would I want this feature to be automatic? default should be off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes @cakeller !!!! Thank you so much for giving me a solution to this ridiculous problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The links in the correct answer are no longer valid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is like they are trying to make Acrobat annoying and unseable.  The last few generations of changes are unbelievably stupid.  It is like they ignored what professional users do and designed it for 1st timers.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines