• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are Lightroom photos going black when switching to crop mode?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intermittently, when switching into or out of crop mode in Lightroom, the photo goes black for a second or three.

Am running Lightroom 6.10 on a 2016 13" MacBook Pro. Never saw this behavior on our older MBP which ran Lightroom 5.7.

Performance is set to "Use Graphics Processor," and Develop is set to "Use Smart Previews." Upgraded to 6 specifically to take advantage of the (slight) GPU acceleration.

Thoughts, please, on why this is happening and how to remedy it.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would start by seeing if the Graphic Processor is turned off rectifies the problem.

It can cause problems along the lines you have described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, will try running with the GP off. Ugh...

I suppose, however, if I have to trade off a bit of speed in order not to see the image go momentarily black, I'd probably leave things as they are and live with the problem. Frustrating, isn't it?

But thank you for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, using the GPU is causing the problem.

Who, then, is responsible for fixing it: Adobe or Apple?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious if you are seeing a performance hit with the graphics processor disabled in Lightroom. The graphics processor is primarily for those who have high-resolution (4K monitors). You really shouldn't notice a difference if you don't have one of those monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JimHess,

At least with my 2016 13" MBP, yes, there absolutely is a performance hit when the GPU acceleration is disabled.

Simple operations such as zooming and panning are noticeably degraded when GPU is off. Rather than a smooth move, it's a series of stutters. 

Try it out for yourself; you will see the differenced in performance on the MBP's display.

I just (yesterday) bought this upgrade specifically to run on this machine… and that's because Lightroom 5.7 was slower on this than my 2010 MBP.  Am extremely frustrated and disapointed.

Would love  to get my money back. Point me in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, using the GPU is causing the problem. Who, then, is responsible for fixing it: Adobe or Apple?

From the outside, it's hard to know the root cause.  It could be a bug in the graphics driver (from Nvidia or AMD), in OS X, or in LR.  Sometimes there's quite a bit of internal finger-pointing amongst engineers.  But precisely because it's outside of customers' control and understanding, it's in Adobe's interest to get the issue resolved by working with Apple if necessary. 

Your symptoms sound similar to this bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom CC: Image "blinks" when toggling between "Before Only" and "After Only" views in Develop m... .  I suggest you add your symptoms and the output of Help > System Info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Johnrellis. Will follow your advice and the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines