Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

copied to LR as DNG now can't process

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

guys

I made a silly mistake and have clicked import "copy as dng" - now my imported photos are dng and in library module ( 4 sets of photos I have a project on) I can't develop because it can't find file?? probably simple answer but i can't figure out. It is not about whether I want to work in DNG or not I just want to go back to what I have been doing before (not copy as DNG) which allowed me to do projects quickly. Now I am stuck until I either firgure out how to tell lightroom where to find the file or convert the imported copies back to cr2 orgo to a different computer. if i tell lightroom the location of the original raw file I have to take each photo and change or tell it to use the cr2 name - this will take forever,,,,,,I already reset the import function so in future i will not get the dog, but how do i fix the photos I already imported or re import them?

secondly i already imported. So if i want to import the same photos again (sort of start over) I can't. How do you re import photos, is that even possible?

thanks

Jay

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

DNGs are no different from the original RAW files. In fact some camera makers use DNG as their RAW file format, Leica is one of them.

The new question is why are these dng files showing up as missing. That only happens if you moved the files outside of LR or you disconnected the external drive they were imported to and reconnect it and it got a different drive letter.

You could try the Find missing file system or the Update folder location option.

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't develop because it can't find file??

There is most likely an exclamation point icon on the photo in the Library module, as shown in this document: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Follow the instructions in that document to fix the problem.

DO NOT RE-IMPORT.

DO NOT RE-IMPORT.

DO NOT RE-IMPORT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you selected Copy as DNG in the import dialog then LR Copied your images, and converted them to the DNG file format, into the drive and folder you selected during the import process that was selected in the Destination area of the import dialog. That folder will be listed in the Folders section of the LR Library module and if it was the last import you did in the Catalog section under Previously Import.

So what do you mean by "I can't Develop because it (LR) can't find file (??)"?

Did you Copy and convert to DNG to an External drive and is that drive now connected to your computer?

Once you get your current situation straightened out you need to learn how LR works and how to work with LR. You seem to be under some misconceptions about what LR is, how it works and how to work with it. Take a look at some of these tutorials.

http://laurashoe.com/2016/10/27/new-to-lightroom-an-introduction-to-lightroom/?utm_source=MadMimi&ut...

Lightroom tutorials | Learn how to use Lightroom CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - i have been using lightroom for years -- i have a folder with raw files on ext drive -- i import the group of photos that i would like to WORK on into lightroom. I then have them in my catalog and choose photos to "develop" (a function in my lightroom).

I then, when I am done what I call processing the photos, i export them as jpegs to wherever i need then for whatever purpose.

Hopefully you are still with me

I mistakingly told the import to copy as dng so now the imported photos from two shows 60 photos in one catalog and 80 in another are dngs. I have never used dng before. more importantly when I choose a photo to develop, process or whatever other term you want to apply to the develop function I get the exclamation point referred to which I am very familiar with. The problem is..... if I have moved the location of the original files the old way (before dng) I simply located ONE OF THE PHOTos in the collection and the rest would all be located and boom all is good. However

In the case of the dng issue i am dealing with  - when I locate the original photo I have do the same thing for each photo individually --- hence my question - which is basically is there any other way to do this such as re import or any other suggestions other than just locate each raw file one by one 

would be appreciate helpful suggestions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you imported these images, if you cchose the option to copy as DNG, the only difference now is that instead of the original raw file format is that they have the DNG file extension. Other than that you work with them just the same. don't look for the original files. Lightroom converted them to DNG on import. And unless you chose the option to save a copy, the files in their original format are not on your hard drive. If you still have them on the card you could import them again if you really want to. You won't gain anything because the image data is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNGs are no different from the original RAW files. In fact some camera makers use DNG as their RAW file format, Leica is one of them.

The new question is why are these dng files showing up as missing. That only happens if you moved the files outside of LR or you disconnected the external drive they were imported to and reconnect it and it got a different drive letter.

You could try the Find missing file system or the Update folder location option.

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I locate the original photo I have do the same thing for each photo individually --- hence my question - which is basically is there any other way to do this such as re import or any other suggestions other than just locate each raw file one by one 

The link I gave explains how to reconnect photos; or reconnect entire folders; or reconnect entire trees of folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i choose the pic and it says can not find file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you move the images (not using Lightroom) after you imported them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

argh - i have dng files in my lightroom catalog the original raw files are in the same location i imported from originally  not moved -- in order to work on a photo in lightroom - lightroom says it cannot locate original file. I can choose the photo and have lightroom locate the original and then i choose the located file, and it will update my catalog image so i can work on the photo in lightroom (located) but how can i do this for multiple photos so i am not doing it one at a time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Paige says not to do this. But if you haven't done a lot of work on this project I would say go to the library module and do a Ctrl/A and highlight all of the images, Press delete, and choose to remove them from Lightroom (NOT from the disk). Now close Lightroom and open your system file browser and go to that folder and sort the images by file type. Then delete all of the DNG files. Now go back into Lightroom and open the import dialog and go to that folder and choose the Add option. This will add those images back in their original format, in their original location, and you should be good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Paige says not to do this. But if you haven't done a lot of work on this project I would say go to the library module and do a Ctrl/A and highlight all of the images, Press delete, and choose to remove them from Lightroom (NOT from the disk). Now close Lightroom and open your system file browser and go to that folder and sort the images by file type. Then delete all of the DNG files. Now go back into Lightroom and open the import dialog and go to that folder and choose the Add option. This will add those images back in their original format, in their original location, and you should be good to go.

I point out, for anyone reading this and thinking that they will delete the photo from Lightroom and re-import, that you will LOSE ALL YOUR EDITS and you will LOSE ALL YOUR USER-SUPPLIED METADATA. These are important considerations, and the primary reason I advise to never re-import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Notice that I indicated that if there hadn't been much work done on the images. As I read the dilemma being faced, it seemed to me that the images were imported and nothing had been done because the images could be used. I know this is one of your favorite soapboxes, and I understand. But let's take a little time to think about what the OP is facing here and what has happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i deleted the photos from lightroom -- then went back to import again and lightroom won't import thinks they are already imported - this is what i was trying to avoid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you didn't really delete them from the catalog. They are still in there somewhere. I don't know, maybe what you are going to have to do is create new catalog for this project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i deleted the photos from lightroom -- then went back to import again and lightroom won't import thinks they are already imported - this is what i was trying to avoid

To find the photos in Lightroom, you need to follow these steps, in order:

1. Click on All Photographs on the left side of the Library Module (it's under Catalog)
  2. Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
  3. Expand all stacks (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
  4. search for one or more of these photos by file name, using the Filter Bar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for everyone trying to help. The final solution was to delete collection and from photos in lightroom  - then just start over! thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even though you have been using LR for years it is my honest opinion you don't know, or understand, how LR works.

Please review some of those tutorials I link to so you can learn more.

Best of luck to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines