• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My first computer build (Ryzen). How should I organize hard drives for Premiere?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've been wanting a video editing station for a long, long time and have finally been able to put a computer together. I finished it today, and have just fired it up for the first time. I'm running a Ryzen 1800x, 32 GB Ram (DDR4 3000), 760 GTX. I have a 500GB SSD and twin 2 TB HHD drives (X370-PRO mobo). Using Windows 10 and holding out to see what the new Vega card will do so just using my old gaming card for now.

I am completely new to all of this (building it was not easy for me and took about 3 days to complete). I have no idea how to do all these RAM/GPU optimizations (yet) and I don't even understand what overclocking is just yet.  But.. all of that later. I'm just letting you know I'm green like Kermit.

Right now, I'm just interested in the best way to organize my video workflow. I fly drones and have a lot of 4K video I want to edit (mostly Premiere right now but I think I'm going to finally get an Adobe subscription for all products as well). Can someone suggest the optimal way for me to install Premiere using the 3 drives that I have?  Do I just install to the SSD, use 1 HHD for editing and the other for rendering?  Any system optimizations that you might offer to someone brand new to this?

Thanks so much for any/all advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it may not matter much if you are using highly compressed footage, but i would do something like this

ssd - os/apps/cache/projects

hdd's in raid-0 - media/render previews/exports

(you should be able to use the motherboard or windows to create the raid. also make sure whatever is on that raid is backed up)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may get you started but you have a great M.2 PCIe x4 connector on that motherboard.  I would plan (when you can afford it) on getting one of new super speed SSD's like a Samsung 960 Pro or EVO and use it for all your current project files.  If that  SSD of yours is a SATA III unit the new M.2 drives can be 4 to 6 times faster,  Then you can just use your slow hard disk drives for backup and archiving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, guys.

Bill.. my SSD is a SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB. Being new to all of this, I didn't realize it was that much faster so great to hear!  I have been quite amazed at how fast Windows boots.. like nothing I've ever seen before for sure.

Sounds like I just need to throw all of my files on one of the HHD drives and use the SSD for the projects and rendering. I have no idea of space requirements for all of this yet so hopefully it will work. I will start of this next month and no doubt experience will be the best teacher.

Appreciate the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is great that you have that 960 EVO.  Here is my 960 EVO test.  What is of interest for editing are the sequential read and write rates.  I have actually been able to write a disk intensive file from Premiere Pro at 1325 MB/s

I have actually tried your situation where I had all the files on one SSD and it works, not quite as well as having two devices but it is very usable as long as you have enough space for all the project files.  So when you finish a project you then move it to your hard disk drives to make room for the next project.

I would sure like some PPBM benchmark results from your new Ryzen system when you have time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll do it!  I'll give it a whirl this week and holler back at ya'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, I'm a bit jealous of your read/write times. Are you using a RAID configuration or no?  Would like to get a couple of my numbers closer to yours. 

Benchmark.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Bill Gehrke​, what's the trick to improve the 960 performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know why but I will try to find out later but I just reran the test, incidentally my system right now is running 4 M.2 SSD's in addition to the EVO I have 2 each 960 Pro's and one 950 Pro all running at once.  Maybe it might have something to do with the motherboard, I have an Asus WS board

960 EVO #2.png

My 1 TB 960 Pro the first two results are 3517 MB/s Read rate and 2183 MB/s Write rate.

Here is my RAID 0 array with a SM951 and a 950 Pro that I ran back in 2015

But I found no advantage except bragging rights in my PPBM testing to that configuration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think i've seen m.2 speeds increase with overclocks, so perhaps your high 4.5ghz overclock is contributing to those speeds...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure that is the difference Some time ago I gather this data.

960 512 MB 6-core 3.4GHz .png

960 512 MB 8-core 4.5GHz .png

I am wondering if is also dependent on the inherent I/O bandwidth of the chip for instance my i7-5960X has 40 PCIe lanes on chip and the Ryzen 7-1800X has 24 Lanes, also it will be interesting to see how the new i7-7700K results shows up in the testing with only 16 on-chip cores.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What are your 4K render times like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines