• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Photos from External HD (step-by-step)

Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am struggling to find step-by-step instructions to import a photo project (external HD connected to laptop) into my current LR program (desktop computer) with all the data (edits, names to faces, etc). Importing the images is easy.

1) Open LR

2) Click on <File> (Import photos and videos)

3) Select the Source from the column on the left (the external HD, which is now connected to the desktop)

4) Select the Destination from the column on the right

5) Click on <Import>

6) ?

In addition to the photos I have:

a) Lightroom Catalog.Ircat.zip file

b) Lightroom Catalog Previews.Irdata

c) Lightroom Catalog.Ircat

I have done this before, but I don't remember how. In the past, an Adobe Rep guided me through some steps on my laptop. Something that appeared like an export so that once I plugged the external HD to the desktop all of the data would transfer over.

Thank you,

Apple

Sierra 10.12 4

Adobe LR 2015.9

[Moved from non-technical Lounge Forum to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

From the external HD via a laptop:

1) <File>, Export as Catalog

2) Provide a name and location to save the catalog

3) Check "Export Negative Files"

4) Wait while the catalog is created. It will show up as a new file folder with the photos and Ircat file

From the desktop computer:

1) Connect the external HD

2) Open LR

3) Click on <File>, Import from Another Catalog

4) Find the new folder and open/launch the Ircat file

5) Choose copy files (other options available)

6) Click on <Import>

As mentioned above, dur

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I identified how to export a catalog from the HD attached to the laptop. I now have the catalog as a separate project and it's ready for import to the desktop. I can't figure out how to combine as oppose to have it as a stand alone catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I utilized the <Import from Another Catalog> and the images are copying over. While clicking next, I noticed that in addition to the images, the Ircat was also going to be copied over. I only have one catalog for my entire LR (therefore only one Ircat). The Ircat is maintained on a separate hard drive than the images. As I watch the files copy over, I don't see an Ircat file appear with the photos.

1) Is LR smart enough to automatically combine the Ircat (from the import) with the existing Ircat file on my desktop computer?

Once this is successfully completed, I'll update the post so the next person has step-by-step instructions.

Thank you,

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

From the external HD via a laptop:

1) <File>, Export as Catalog

2) Provide a name and location to save the catalog

3) Check "Export Negative Files"

4) Wait while the catalog is created. It will show up as a new file folder with the photos and Ircat file

From the desktop computer:

1) Connect the external HD

2) Open LR

3) Click on <File>, Import from Another Catalog

4) Find the new folder and open/launch the Ircat file

5) Choose copy files (other options available)

6) Click on <Import>

As mentioned above, during the process it showed that the (HD) Ircat would be copied to the same location as the photos. It did not. The Ircat file (HD) was combined with the main Ircat (desktop computer) file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines