• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Lightroom CC Camera Calibration Profiles Varying with Lens or Camera Profile?

Contributor ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a Sony RX100 V, and added its profile to Lightroom CC.  While photo editing, I noticed some new Camera Calibration Profiles: Camera Clear, Camera Deep, Camera Light, and Camera Monochrome, in addition to the usual Adobe Standard, Landscape, Neutral, Portrait, Standard and Vivid.

However, when editing shots taken with a Tamron 18-270 lens profile, I found that the new Camera Calibration Profiles would not display - only the older Adobe Standard, Landscape, Neutral, Portrait, Standard and Vivid would display.  What causes the difference in availability?  Is it that only the newer camera gets the new Camera Calibration Profiles?  Or is it due to some choice like the color space that can be changed?  I'd like to be able to use the new Camera Calibration Profiles with my other cameras - not just the RX100 V. 

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Camera profiles (found in the Calibration panel) are specific to the camera model, even though the profiles may have the same name listed in the Calibration menu. Thus, for instance, every camera has an Adobe Standard profile and the latest version of LR (6.10 / 2015.10) contains 625 Adobe Standard profiles, each one for a different camera. In addition, LR may supply other profiles which are Adobe's imitations of the profiles in the camera maker's firmware for that camera. Again, they are specif

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you add the new camera profile to Lightroom CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first, I thought I had to add the RX100 V camera lens profile to Lightroom CC, but could not find it listed among the profiles.  A query to the Adobe lightroom Community clued me in that the built-in profile was applied.  A check revealed this to be so - no addition on my part was needed.

The older Tamron 18-270 profile was added manually years ago, and kept as a preset for regular use. I am wondering if the same newer Camera Calibration Profiles available to the Sony RX100 V are also available to the older Tamron 18-270.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so. But I could be wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera profiles (found in the Calibration panel) are specific to the camera model, even though the profiles may have the same name listed in the Calibration menu. Thus, for instance, every camera has an Adobe Standard profile and the latest version of LR (6.10 / 2015.10) contains 625 Adobe Standard profiles, each one for a different camera. In addition, LR may supply other profiles which are Adobe's imitations of the profiles in the camera maker's firmware for that camera. Again, they are specific to that model. DNG Camera Profiles (.dcp) control the way colors in images from that camera are rendered in LR.

>"I am wondering if the same newer Camera Calibration Profiles available to the Sony RX100 V are also available to the older Tamron 18-270."

Again, .dcp profiles are for cameras, without regard for the lens in front of it.

Lens profiles are something different, they correct optical aberrations in a lens and are, therefore, specific to a particular lens - although there may be two versions for interchangeable lenses with different mounts. From what I see on the web, the RX100 V does not have an interchangeable lens; you cannot use the Tamron lens on it. So there would be no reason or sense in applying the Tamron's Lens Correction Profile (.lcp) to an image from the RX100 V, especially since a profile for the built-in lens is already automatically applied. And .dcp files for the RX100 V can't be used on another camera, no matter what lens is mounted on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, even though it is not what I had hoped to hear.  It sounds like my Nikon D5200/Tamron 18-270 combo is stuck with fewer .dcp than the Sony RX100 V.  I will try to make do.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the DNG Profile Editor (free download from Adobe) you can edit an existing profile for the D5200 to taste, thus creating a new profile. For my Canon 80D I have a variation on the Adobe Standard profile, because in recent years Adobe has changed the rendering of the Adobe Standard profile and I wanted a version that is more similar to the profiles for older cameras. There are also sites that sell profiles, such as PSKiss.com.

LR and ACR know which profiles to load from the thousands included in the installed application by inspecting the image Exif and matching it to the camera designation in the .dcp file(s). Since a dcp can be opened and edited in a simple text reader like Notepad, I suppose that you could change the camera ID in a copy of the profile in order to make it load for a different camera, although I have never tried it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines