• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quality loss when i switch from Develop to Library, Astrophotography

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been going through the same process as i usually do. export to StarryLandscape stacker as a tiff... create image in StarryLandscape stacker then Import into the library in Lightroom. When i finish editing i switch from Develop to Library the image looses quality. Goes from a bright Milkyway to a dull Milkyway and exports the same when i export as jpeg and tiff. I have been through this process many times and never had this issue

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

[Moved from non-technical Lounge Forum to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Images with a lot of noise - and this qualifies as noise - must be viewed at 1:1 for an accurate assessment of adjustments. This maps one image pixel to exactly one screen pixel. With any other zoom ratio the preview is inaccurate.

This is because for performance reasons, the adjustment preview is calculated on the basis of the on-screen image. If this is a scaled and therefore softened version, that introduces intermediate values that are not there in the full original. The final adjustment work

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the image i see in develop before i click on library

Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 2.22.04 PM.png

This is the same image unedited but was exported

Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 2.23.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images with a lot of noise - and this qualifies as noise - must be viewed at 1:1 for an accurate assessment of adjustments. This maps one image pixel to exactly one screen pixel. With any other zoom ratio the preview is inaccurate.

This is because for performance reasons, the adjustment preview is calculated on the basis of the on-screen image. If this is a scaled and therefore softened version, that introduces intermediate values that are not there in the full original. The final adjustment works on the full pixel data, where blurry midtones are replaced with the original sharp transitions.

IOW - a tonal adjustment that seems to work in the preview, may in fact have little effect on the original data.

So again - View at 1:1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is possible to get close correlation between the Develop and Library module at less than 1:1 Zoom view. This should help:

EDIT NOTE: The below information applies to processing original raw image files prior to Export and processing in StarryLandscape stacker.

The Library and Develop module previews are created differently. The Develop module uses less accurate, but faster nearest-neighbor interpolation to create Zoom previews less than 1:1 size (i.e. Fit, Fill, etc.). This was done to speed the real-time image rendering during editing in the Develop module to prevent adjustment control lag.

The Library module uses a JPEG Preview file that is created with a more accurate Bicubic interpolation. When viewing images at the 'Fit' and 'Fill' Zoom settings a 2nd interpolation is applied to exactly "match" the preview window size. This 2nd interpolation causes a slight softening of the image detail. To prevent this from happening do not use the 'Fit' or 'Fill' Zoom settings. Instead use 1:4, 1:3, etc., which are the pyramid Preview sizes already created. The Library and Develop module images should look near identical. Just keep in mind that Detail panel adjustments should only be made at 1:1 View, which is the only Develop module Zoom size that provides accurate image rendering.

If after following these instructions you still see a difference between the Develop and Library modules it may be due excessive Sharpening and/or insufficient Noise Reduction. This can happen when processing High ISO image files (800 and higher) or images that are very underexposed. View the image at 1:1 Zoom and adjust the Detail panel Sharpening and Noise Reduction controls to remove any visible image noise and properly adjust sharpening. Good article here: How to Properly Sharpen Images in Lightroom

If after all these adjustments you still see a difference between the Develop and Library module at the pyramid Zoom settings (1:16, 1:8, 1:4, 1:3, 1:2) you most likely are using a monitor profile that's incompatible with LR. See this article: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its...

NOTE: if using a standard gamut display use the sRGB profile. For a wide gamut display use the Adobe RGB profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines