• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting a 2-color image from PS opens as multi-color image in other programs

Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received this image as a jpeg file from a customer who wants me to make some stitch files for him (machine embroidery).  The software for the stitch file basically reads the number of colors in the image and assigns a thread color to that image so it is very important to reduce the colors to the minimum (in this case 2) so that the stitch software interprets correctly.  Ideally, there would be just two thread colors here - blue and white.  I opened the original 256 color jpeg in PS, indexed the image to reduce the colors to 2 and exported the files (legacy format) as a 2-color PNG which is the first image below.  Seems easy enough but when I open this image in the stitch software it shows 64 colors (second image below). 

So PS shows 2 colors before I export but the file seems be exporting as 64 colors and those extra colors are blended shades of blue and gray.  The stitch software can combine these colors in an attempt to get the thread count down to 2 colors of blue and white (which is what I did in PS previously) but the stitch software is rather brute force and reducing the color leaves jagged edges which shows up in the final embroidered product (see zoomed image)

What have I done wrong?  Why is my export of 2 colors showing up as 64 colors? 

Thanks!

CC-Scots-PS-2color.png

64 colors.JPG

64 colors zoomed.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may have something to do with the stitch software rather than Photoshop.

When you indexed the 2-color png, did you choose 'No Dither'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are my current settings.  I'm also confused on how to actually export it.  Do I select "File>Export>Jpeg" or is there a better method when trying to limit colors?

PS screenshot.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No reason to export jpeg if what you need is png. Jpeg will add more colors. When exporting png I usually use File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy).

It looks like the edges are anti-aliasing and therefore adding more colors.

The edges would be smoother if your artwork could be vector, and if the stitching software can open EPS files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did managed to get everything to work but it took several iterations and I'm still not 100% certain that I'm doing this correctly.  Here's my workflow.

• For color reduction:
    • Image>Mode
      • Pallet:  Local (Selective)
      • Colors:  2
      • Forced:  None
      • Transparence:  Unchecked
    • Options
      • Matte:  None
      • Dither:  None
  • For Resizing the image from larger size to smaller size
    • Image>Image Size
      • Adobe PS Image Size.JPG
    • For exporting the image
      • File>Export>Save For Web Legacy>PNG
      • Adobe PS Image Export.JPG
      • PNG is in the bottom right-hand corner of the image
    • I have to adjust/guess at the Image size but I think I found the workflow that gets me there but here's what was confusing to me (novice user).  I had already resized the image to 2 inch height at 1000 PPI (to maintain resolution around the edges of the letters which is critical in the stitch software) but when I exported it the image was 21 inches tall.   I played around with the image size in the export box and finally discovered that at height of 144 PX will get me very close to a 2" tall image.  I'd still like to understand why the image size exported differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should resize/resample first, as that will create more edge colours.

Then index the file to reduce colours.

In my limited experience, embroidery providers usually ask for vector art (Illustrator), not raster (Photoshop).

If 144px = 2 inch print/output size, then the image is being assumed as 72ppi. PNG does not have a resolution or a “print size” metadata value as sometimes found in JPG… Which is another good reason to use vector over raster (if the embroidery software accepts vector files such as .ai / .eps / .pdf)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noted on the workflow.  I'll give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting for web, the resolution automatically changes to 72 ppi, which is probably why the change in dimensions.

I concur with Stephen A Marsh -- In my few experiences with embroidery providers they want vector art. That's why I suggested vector in my second post. The edges would be smooth and it would be much easier to control the dimensions and number of colors. Adobe Illustrator would be ideal for this job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have access through my CC account to illustrator but I have never used it.  So are you saying that Illustrator can take the original JPEG file and export this in a different way that would work better for me (I'm the embroider).  If so, I need to learn that method because the embroidery software that I use is too basic to get these details correct.

Can you suggest where I need to start with Illustrator? 

Tks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Illustrator can not take the original jpeg file and export in a different way.

I'm suggesting that your client give you a vector file of the artwork, not a jpeg. You can open the vector file in Illustrator and assign exactly the 2 colors you need. Then save the file as EPS. That way you will get perfectly smooth edges and get just the colors you want at the size you need.

If the client cannot give you a vector file, I would recreate the artwork in Illustrator. For someone experienced in Illustrator it would be quick and easy to do. Since you haven't used Illustrator before, it will take some practice. If you're up against a deadline, it would not be practical.

If you do have time to spend with Illustrator, mainly you need to get comfortable using the Pen tool. There are lots of tutorials on the web, books, and classes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines