• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I understand how to align text, but can you align text boxes?

Contributor ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like this is a silly question, but I'm wanting to align text boxes. Can I do that? Or just align the text? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Sure you can, just like any other objects. Select those frames, use Align panel. You can find buttons for alignment in Control panel, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure you can, just like any other objects. Select those frames, use Align panel. You can find buttons for alignment in Control panel, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh hi, again, Kailar!

Here's my 2 cents: the Align panel has a hidden menu that is critical to controlling what you are aligning to. The Align buttons are on the top row, but the Align To menu controls how they behave. A lot of my students miss that menu, and then miss most of the functionality of the Align panel.

Briefly, Align to Selection is used to align two or more objects to each other, the other three align all selected objects within the Margins, Page and Spread. A Key Object is used when you have two or more objects and you want to pick which object is used to align the other objects. If you spend 5 minutes figuring this out, it will save headaches and frustration in the future.

Aligning Objects | Working with Objects in Adobe InDesign CC | Peachpit

InDesign CCss_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And hi again to You, Barb

In addition to Your excellent explanation: from that 'hidden' menu most often we use first two options. While the first (Align to Selection) is 'default', the second (Align to Key Object) can be easily accessed, too, without digging so deep into Align panel. Just after selecting objects to align, click on one of them once again - it will get a bold outline, indicating its status as a Key Object.

It's even more controllable: this way you define Key Object directly, while just choosing this option from the menu you let InDesign decide which object is the Key (afaik, the 'oldest', first created object is selected by default).

That said, the moral is: there's sooo many various options, possibilities, etc., you will spend certainly more than 5 mins just to get in touch with it

Apart of Lynda.com and other good places to learn, InDesign's own Help (just hit F1!) is pretty good for reference on a basics, and it should be the first stop for novices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines