• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you import or copy collections from one computer (old) to new PC?

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded from Win7 (old computer) to Win10 (new computer) and I had to re-install LR6 from Adobe.  I imported a catalog but my collections did not copy to the new PC.  Can I copy or import collections from one PC to another, both having identical LR6 installed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Collections are part of the catalog. If you copied the catalog  from the old computer as well as the images from the old computer then you should have the collections. What do you mean when you say that you "imported" the catalog? All that should have been necessary would be to copy the images and the catalog from the old computer to the new one, install Lightroom 6 on the new computer, and then open the existing catalog.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collections are part of the catalog. If you copied the catalog  from the old computer as well as the images from the old computer then you should have the collections. What do you mean when you say that you "imported" the catalog? All that should have been necessary would be to copy the images and the catalog from the old computer to the new one, install Lightroom 6 on the new computer, and then open the existing catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I have some work to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collections (to use the Lightroom term correctly) are only virtual lists of photos that are stored within the Catalog.  So if you did copy the catalog from the 'old' to the 'new', then the catalog must still contain the Collections.

(Hopefully you used the "Import From Another Catalog" method, and did not re-import the photos again.)

OTOH you must also have all the original photo files copied to the 'new' computer as well, and in the same folder structure for Lightroom to recognize them.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I'm looking into this now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jim just beat me to a reply, and I should modify my post slightly-

(Hopefully you used the "Import From Another Catalog" method, and did not re-import the photos again.)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines