• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bypass camera raw and auto save back to lightroom

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prior to this last bug riddled update when I opened photoshop cc from lightroom it went directly to photoshop and did not open the camera raw filter.  Also, when I hit save it would save it back to lightroom but now a dialogue box opens asking me where I want to save it so I save it back to the same folder and then I have to synchronize the folder to get to the photo.  I'm sure this is not a problem for many of you but for beginners like myself it's very frustrating and time consuming trying to get it to work the way it should work, or was working, before the update.  Can someone please tell me, is this a new bug or is there something I can do to get it to bypass camera raw and to autosave back to lightroom?

photoshop cc 2017 

Lightroom version: CC 2015.10 [ 1111918 ]

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.12 [4]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

I can reproduce the behavior you describe if three conditions are fulfilled:

1. In Lightroom Preferences you have set External Editing/Edit in Photoshop CC 2017>TIFF

2. In Camera Raw Preferences you have set JPG and TIFF Handling/TIFF>Automatically open all supported TIFFs

3. When, because of a bug, LR 2015.10 opens a notice asking you to "Render in Lightroom" or "Open Anyway", and you select "Render in LR".

In order to break this chain, change one or more of the above. Or simply wait until the bug

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it went directly to Photoshop and did not open the camera raw filter.

This is the default action for a raw image file. (different for jpg, tiff, psd, )

Photoshop 'understands' that Lightroom is the (ACR) raw editor and it opens directly.  You will note that the window tab in Photoshop shows the filename ending with the raw file-type (eg. NEF, CR2, DNG)

Not until you "Save"  (NOT "Save As" ) do you get a derivative version (JPG, TIFF, PSD)  back in the LIghtroom catalog.

You will find a flow diagram at- https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/whats-the-difference-between-render-using-lightroom-and...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is the way it used to work prior to the update.  Now it is not working that way.  I'm not sure I understand your response?

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what is being said is that what you are describing is not normal. I have Lightroom CC 2015.10 and Photoshop CC 2017. I just sent a raw file from Lightroom to Photoshop. The file went directly from Lightroom to being displayed in Photoshop. I did some editing. Then I saved the image. I was not prompted or asked where I wanted to save the image. It was automatically saved back to Lightroom. The Camera Raw interface never displayed. When Photoshop closed the resulting tiff image displayed in the Lightroom as expected. So I don't know how to tell you to make it do that because that is how it works by itself, automatically (I suppose). That is the way it is intended to work. Are you certain you used the Save option and not  the Save As option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lisa,

So you are saying that the ACR interface now opens in Photoshop when you "Edit-In" Photoshop from Lightroom?

I can only get the the ACR interface in Photoshop if I "Open as a Smart Object" from Lightroom, then double-click the Smart Object layer thumbnail.

And if you definitely choose "Save" the image will save back to Lightroom in the same folder as the opened file.

"Save As" will ask for a new file-name that will not be in Lightroom (as you know)

Maybe a reset of the Preferences file will correct it for you.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Lisa, yes I'm sorry I did not understand your question.  ( I had it backwards )

Also confirm that-  You are using  [ Ctrl+E ]   ( and not exporting to a file with Post-Processing in Ps after Export)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm doing it the same I always have.  Right click and edit in photoshop and then save, not save as. 

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce the behavior you describe if three conditions are fulfilled:

1. In Lightroom Preferences you have set External Editing/Edit in Photoshop CC 2017>TIFF

2. In Camera Raw Preferences you have set JPG and TIFF Handling/TIFF>Automatically open all supported TIFFs

3. When, because of a bug, LR 2015.10 opens a notice asking you to "Render in Lightroom" or "Open Anyway", and you select "Render in LR".

In order to break this chain, change one or more of the above. Or simply wait until the bug is repaired, which will probably happen soon because it has been very widely reported. However, until that happens it would be best to choose "Open Anyway" and to check the box which will prevent the notice showing again and normal behavior will be restored. Normal behavior means that LR does not send a rendered Tiff to PS but rather sends editing data to Camera Raw which does not open its UI and works in the background rendering and feeding to PS the rasterized bitmap RGB image which you will later save as a Tiff in the source folder. Or you can change #1 to PSD so that it will not activate #2 or change #2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did get that box asking me to render in Lightroom along with two other options.  I guess I chose the wrong option.  I will give this a try and check my preferences.  Thank you, everyone, for the responses and suggestions!

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I reset the warnings in lightroom and then checked the box to not show again and clicked open anyway and it is acting normal again.  Thank you very much!

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines