• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can data sets pull images from a server?

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there -

I'm working with data sets and need to know if it is possible to have photoshop pull images that are housed on a server. We have all the file path names in an excel file for other purposes so if we can utilize that data instead of moving all the images to my hard drive that would be ideal.

I have tried a couple of times but keep getting a program error. I'm wondering if it's due to files not being local or if it's the special characters used in the server names i.e. bullet points. (Not my doing FYI)

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

You would need to program a Photoshop script to use some network protocol for transferring files between machines. Or you can map the network drive on your Photoshop machine and use it like a local drive. However, Adobe does not officially support network drives. Performance will not be anywhere near local performance but most likely it will work.

While Photoshop is not a file editor it can create image documents from files and save image document to files.  Windows and Mac both support remote fi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to program a Photoshop script to use some network protocol for transferring files between machines. Or you can map the network drive on your Photoshop machine and use it like a local drive. However, Adobe does not officially support network drives. Performance will not be anywhere near local performance but most likely it will work.

While Photoshop is not a file editor it can create image documents from files and save image document to files.  Windows and Mac both support remote file access. Network file access.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes now that you mention it network speeds will be an issue with this. I'm thinking with a team of 15+ on the network it's best to run this data set locally. Thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a team if members work on the same images you may need some library system where member can check images in and out where the library system provides versioning.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a link or do you have a company in mind that I can read up on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I retired 15 years ago I have no idea of what products are out there these days. I just use Photoshop on my machine.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines