Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PC: i7 6700k, 32GB DDR, Samsung SSD, GTX 1070 Windows 10

Lightroom is very slow at basic tasks like select images, change module, write caption title etc.

Can take up to 10 seconds just to select a few images. small jpgs as well as hires raws. LR freezes for some seconds (not responding).

What I have tried:

uncheck/check gpu acc.

reset preferences.

removed all plugins

disabled all plugins

uninstall and reinstall LR

made a new catalog with just 130 images. Same response as catalog with 100k images.

When browsing images, the cpu usage goes up to 10-15%

It's been like this since last fall when I built this PC. On my macbook pro 2011 it is just regular slow. Not ridiculous slow like this.

But tasks like editing images with the sliders in dev module, import and export seems to run like normal.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Ok. So I ran the benchmark. First i got only 3800 (total. the 11k number you refer to is cpu only. I got 11500 there). And noticed that the 2D performance was really low. like GT 630 low.

So I reinstalled the graphics driver, and what do you know, the graphics performance went up to over GTX980 scores. (5800 points total)

So that fixed Lightrooms lag.

I didn't think of reinstalling the graphics driver since it was only LR that lagged. And I have been updating the graphics drivers several times wi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give us a complete description of your storage attached to this machine?

Where are images stored?

Where is the catalog stored?

Where is the Lightroom program file stored?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah yeah sorry. all on SSD via Sata3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All on the same SSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes.

and in another scenario I have the pictures on internal HDD. No difference at all. (LR catalog etc on SSD)

I don't notice any difference on editing/browsing images that are on a SSD or a HDD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SSD Capacity?

Free Space?

Any network assets attached?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

500gb. 130gb free. no network.

LR cache set to 60GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes sure all background activities are 'Paused.'

This user with a very similar system is seeing very good LR performance: Processing Large Files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all of them are unchecked. the problem isn't processing image. i.e. sliders in develop module. but basically everything else. doesn't matter the image size.

I will make a screen video of the issues when I find out how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What LR version are you using? Help> System Info?

Try changing the Library module Metadata panel to the 'Default' setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest CC. it is on default

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just to confirm you are running LR CC 2015.10 and tried 'Use Graphics Processor' unchecked in Preferences,  reset LR Preferences, created a new catalog and imported 130 images into it, installed/reinstalled LR, removed all plugins, and set the Metadata panel to 'Default' setting. After making these changes the Library module functions remain persistently slow, but the Develop module controls function normally.

Two more things to try:

1) Change the monitor profile to sRGB if using a standard gamut display or Adobe RGB if using a wide gamut display:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its...

2) Update your graphics driver: nVidia drivers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't say that it improved. maybe 5-10% improvement.

But I have been calibrating my display since I got this. And graphics drivers have been updated several times since last fall. Haven't noticed any changes between that.

So what else do you suggest? But a mac? It went relatively smoothly on my mac mini 2012

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned in my first reply, This user with a very similar system is seeing very good LR performance:

Processing Large Files

I also don't think this is an issue with the type of system you're using since you say,  "sliders in dev module, import and export seems to run like normal."  Most performance complaints concern the Develop module or simply ALL of LR's functions.

We're missing a key piece of information to solve this issue. I'm suspect of the image files you're processing, but you say "On my macbook pro 2011 it is just regular slow. Not ridiculous slow like this." I assume you mean using the exact same image files, correct? BTW- What type of image files are you processing that have this issue? I suggest uploading a few of the files with the issue to Dropbox for examination.

Since you say "It's been like this since last fall when I built this PC" you may have a basic system configuration issue. You can download and run the PassMark Performance Test,which has a 30-day free trial period:

PassMark PerformanceTest - PC benchmark software

You should achieve an 'Average CPU Mark' score of ~11,000:

PassMark - Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - Price performance comparison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a screencap. free version only limited to 3 minutes. At the end I was going to enter text in the description tab, but LR didn't register the mouse click, so it started doing actions based on the letter I typed. A common scenario for me. I was writing "very slow", and LR started doing commands based on those letters.

does this look like normal LR perfomance? Lightroom windows - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I would like to add that LR is the only app that shows any slowness (well, except from Premiere lagging sometimes. The Adobe lag as I like to call it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely not normal behavior for ANY system. It appears you have a resource bottle-neck somewhere. I suggest running the following benchmark test and check the CPU, Disk, and Memory performance numbers:

PassMark PerformanceTest - PC benchmark software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. So I ran the benchmark. First i got only 3800 (total. the 11k number you refer to is cpu only. I got 11500 there). And noticed that the 2D performance was really low. like GT 630 low.

So I reinstalled the graphics driver, and what do you know, the graphics performance went up to over GTX980 scores. (5800 points total)

I didn't think of reinstalling the graphics driver since it was only LR that lagged. And I have been updating the graphics drivers several times without noticing any improvement in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that take care of your open Lightroom issues, Tor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like LR is back to its normal slowness. So yeah, it did take care of my Lightroom issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear. We'll work on 'normal slowness' next.  Thanks for your help and a shout out to TRSHANER!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tiboine  wrote

I didn't think of reinstalling the graphics driver since it was only LR that lagged. And I have been updating the graphics drivers several times without noticing any improvement in LR.

Good to hear reinstalling the graphics drivers resolved the issue. To help others that land here with the same issue did you do anything differently this time compared to your previous updating of the graphics drivers? A graphics driver reinstallation should include uninstalling all of the current Nvidia named drivers using Windows Programs and Features, selecting 'Custom' installation setting with the new driver, and then checking 'Clean Install,' which resets the Nvidia Control Panel Preferences to the default settings.

Concerning the "normal slowness" I suggest going through trouble-shooting process again. Any changes you made previously were "masked" by the graphics driver issue so no way of telling if they helped. This would include creating a new catalog and importing some image files for testing, changing the display profile to sRGB or Adobe RGB, and resetting the Preferences file again.

Most all of the "unfixable" performance issues are with systems that use a 6 or more core processor. You have an i7-6700K quad-core system. We know at least one user is experiencing good performance with a very similar system using 42 Megapixel raw files and a 4K (3840x2160) display. What camera model files and display(s) are you using? This has the largest effect on LR's performance than any other factor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The difference I did now was to uninstall the driver instead of just updating it.

Updating the driver didn't seem to have any effect. I have updated the graphics driver several times this year without LR caring about that.

and for the normal slowness, I'll just refer to google https://www.google.no/search?q=lightroom+slow&oq=lightroom+slow&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61l2j0l3.2716j0...

Lightroom in the last iterations have never felt snappy. And as many other people have discovered, there is a diminishing return. faster PC spec doesn't translate into faster LR.

Last year I had a mac mini 2012 2.6ghz 16GB of ram and fusion drive. LR doesn't feel any faster now with my current spec.

And as for the "use graphics processor" option. Everywhere I read they say to turn it off to increase performance. Even Adobe reps says that. Why have it there to begin with?

in premiere there is a real performance boost when using the GPU to render instead of the cpu. Couldn't the engineers put that same engine into lightroom?

Anyway, this is over my pay grade, so I don't really need an answer to this as there is nothing I can do about it. But just putting it out here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand–At least we got you back to "normal slowness." From the posted PassMark results system and yours have about 2x more performance than mine. Bob and I have have no major issues (gradual slow-down with time), but you do. Go figure! Hopefully performance will be improved in a future LR release that better utilizes system resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom in the last iterations have never felt snappy. And as many other people have discovered, there is a diminishing return. faster PC spec doesn't translate into faster LR.

I agree with that. I have two systems, one high-end and one midrange, and Lightroom is actually a tad faster with the latter.

There is ridiculously slow, and there is workable. A lot of people say there's no problem. My own experience (confirmed by what I've been reading), is that Lightroom has never been truly instant. There is always this little, annoying delay. How much it bothers you, depends on circumstances.

I've begun to suspect that this is just the downside of parametric editing. A new adjustment doesn't pick up where you left - instead it pushes all the other previous adjustments ahead of it in a longer and longer queue.

If one single problem can be separated, it seems to me to be reading from the caches (ACR cache or Previews). Why does it always take at least a half second (or several seconds as the case may be) before it snaps into focus? Maybe it's the queue again. But it does this even if the preview hasn't been updated, and you're just flipping through a couple of frames.

I've never seen any noticeable slider delay. That part is fine. But going through a large shoot can be a serious test of patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines