• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Single recording track for eye gaze and face properties for multiple head positions

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I set a single recording track for eye gaze and face properties (specifically eye lid control) on multiple head positions?

Right now I am selecting all my of head positions and adding face / eye gaze properties to each position which adds a lot of recording layers which makes it confusion to animate

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

> The right eye is broken on the 3/4 view- any idea why?

I think it's because your Right Eyelid Bottom groups are not warp independently (with a crown).

> So all you did was add the face / eye gaze properties on the left / right profiles ?

I moved the Face & Eye Gaze from the top level onto the Frontal, Left Profile, and Right Profile groups just within Macx (i.e., the ones that Walk is looking for). Then, I applied the five tags (Frontal, Left Profile, Left Quarter, Right Profile, Right Quarter) t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you adding Face and Eye Gaze to each head because you need to have view-specific differences in their settings? If not, you should be able to just have Face and Eye Gaze higher up in the puppet hierarchy (e.g., at the root of the puppet) and that should only create one set of Face and Eye Gaze recordings.

If you do need view-specific settings, their recordings would be separate tracks in the Timeline, but you could have top-level Face and Eye Gaze that has the defaults for all of the views, then only add Face and/or Eye Gaze to specific views that need to have different ones from that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I do not need view specific differences in most cases. I rather not add them to each head.

I added a face / eye gaze to my root (aside from the default ones) and it still only works on my forward facing head.

layer names for my other heads are:

Side Right (1!)

3-4 Right (2!)

3-4 Left (3!)

Side Left (4!)

Is there a problem with the way I named them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to use Head Turner with them, and want the tags to be applied automatically, use Left Profile, Left Quarter, Right Profile, and Right Quarter, along with Frontal; or apply those tags manually in the Properties panel. If not using Head Turner, those names should be fine.

Feel free to send me a shared link (via Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.) to an exported .puppet (select the puppet in the Project panel, then choose File > Export > Puppet), and I can try to diagnose what might be happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah no luck:

here's a link

Puppets - Google Drive

Check out the Macx .puppet

if you press left and right he will walk

if you press 9 then O he will tear off his clothes to reveal a Bboy suit.

5 and 6 will keep him in his quarter body views

I have full head turns no matter which way he faces

also S-L and Z-M on the keyboard will show all the hand positions

any tips on how to improve would be great. Using this to animate a short. Right now it seems like Ill have multiple puppets depending on what hes doing (ex. arms infront of head vs behind- see paulin .puppet). But I guess I could technically nest all the puppets into one and switch between them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, you're also using the Walk behavior, so there are nested uses for the profile/quarter views. At this time, it looks like you do need to put Face and Eye Gaze on each view of the walk (i.e., Frontal, Left Profile, and Right Profile); if you only needed head tilt/movement (and not eyebrow raises) for the switched views, you could leave Face at the top.

For each walk view, you also need to tag the five views within the Head (i.e., Macx > Frontal > Head's subgroups should have the Frontal, Left Profile, Left Quarter, Right Profile, and Right Quarter tags).

Also, if you want the chest to move up/down a bit more as the head moves, remove that extra Fixed handle/tag at the chest area (within each "body" group).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the extra tips.

However even after putting the face/ eye gaze properties on each walk position (frontal, right profile, and left profile) I am still having the same problem.

I find I have to apply to  face and eye/gaze to each Eye layer (Left and Right eyes for each head position and each walk position).

This amounts to 30 recording tracks for all the faces.

Anyway around this?

Side question: How do i make my frontal version bob up and down as if hes walking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this version of the puppet work? If I trigger any walk profile or head turn within each, I can still control the Face and Eye Gaze.

https://adobe.ly/2q7CsdY

Or do you mean in some other way?

As for frontal bob up/down... are you wanting the puppet to walk torwards to away from you? If so, the current Walk behavior only has support for left/right movement at this time. Or if you only need the upper body to bob up/down without the feet moving (e.g., if the feet are outside of view), you might be able to simulate it with a Breathe behavior that has just a vertical Offset, but I'm assuming you need the feet to move as well? If so, I'll add a feature request for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually don't need the feet for that- I was just wondering if it worked with the walk property. It would be great to press up arrow and just have him bob up and down.

The puppet you uploaded does work.

The right eye is broken on the 3/4 view- any idea why?

So all you did was add the face / eye gaze properties on the left / right profiles ?

Its weird that doing that didn't work for me:/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> The right eye is broken on the 3/4 view- any idea why?

I think it's because your Right Eyelid Bottom groups are not warp independently (with a crown).

> So all you did was add the face / eye gaze properties on the left / right profiles ?

I moved the Face & Eye Gaze from the top level onto the Frontal, Left Profile, and Right Profile groups just within Macx (i.e., the ones that Walk is looking for). Then, I applied the five tags (Frontal, Left Profile, Left Quarter, Right Profile, Right Quarter) to each of those view's Head subgroups (i.e., "Front" and the others that you have 1/2/3/4 key triggers on). And, I removed the extra Fixed handle at the chest. I believe that's all I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. The head is working as expected.

I hope it's okay if I ask other questions in this thread. Last one:D

There is a weird warp on Macxs hip (where the shirt meets the pants) when he is walking. Got any quick tips for removing that?

Appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the stretching is caused by the Fixed handle that's close to the Hip tag. You can remove the separate Fixed handles that are in the body group, and just add the Fixed tag to the same handle as the Hip tag. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot, hes looking slick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines