• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export modifications to photos from catalog to another hard drive ?

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

i have a Mac OS Sierra.

I had a hard drive failure and i was able to backup my photos before it died.

Because i am not able to read all the folders from that hard drive.

Is there anyway through command line or file modifications inside the lightroom directory to restore all the modifications that i applied to my photos within a new hard drive ?

Thanks for your help,

G.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All modifications to your images are stored in the catalog, not to the images. Do you still have the catalog that you were working on previously? Where is that catalog stored? Are the images still in the same folder structure they were in previously? Where are the images now  located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jim.

You asked: Do you still have the catalog that you were working on previously?

Answer: Yes, I do.

You asked: Where is that catalog stored?

Answer: On my local hard drive on the Mac under "Pictures\Lightroom\2017_Lightroom Catalog" folder.

You asked: Are the images still in the same folder structure they were in previously?

Answer: Yes. Folder Structure within Finder or OS. Not withing lightroom.

You asked: Where are the images now  located?

Answer: In a new USB 3.0 External HD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, just start Lightroom as normal using the catalog you have been using and go to the library module. If your images are all stored within one master folder, right-click on the topmost folder and choose to update the folder location and point Lightroom to the topmost folder on the new hard drive. Everything will update to the new external hard drive and you are done. If the images are not within one master folder then you will have to update the location of each individual folder. But that isn't going to be that much more difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, will do that although I am trying my best to recover some non-lightroom photos had one that failed hard drive. Sometimes it shows up and sometimes does not. I just shut it down, unplug the power and usb hd and will try again with the new hard drive. I will let you know around in an hour or so. tx,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, thank you very much. That did it. The catalog showed the old hard drive with the folders and just needed to re-point the folders into the new hard drive and i am set. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! I'm glad it worked out for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines