• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening InDesign files

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded InDesign again, after not having it for about a year. I tried to open an old file, and I can't get anything but a small box with the name of the file on it. I tried creating a new file, and I get the same thing.  They both look like this, but with the appropriate file name where it says Book 1 in this photo. What am I missing? Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 11.20.16 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Hi,

The file that you are opening is a book document, which is simply a container for holding Indesign files. They are used in long documents, for example each chapter might be a separate Indesign document and the book file is used to hold the whole thing together (as well as many other features).

A book document should have the extension .indb, whereas an actual Indesign file has the extension .indd.

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The file that you are opening is a book document, which is simply a container for holding Indesign files. They are used in long documents, for example each chapter might be a separate Indesign document and the book file is used to hold the whole thing together (as well as many other features).

A book document should have the extension .indb, whereas an actual Indesign file has the extension .indd.

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, rats. That stinks. But, thanks for the info. I guess I have to suck it up and start from nothing, because that's all I could find. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently you need to create a normal InDesign document, simply go to File > New > Document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please share the file at santalwa@adobe.com?

Regards

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines