• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type On Circle path size change, but retaining point size.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a bit of a dilemma.

I have some type on a circle, surrounding a circular object. I want this circular object to move, shrink and grow, retaining it's stroke size, and I want the type on the circle to follow it. HOWEVER, I don't want the type itself to change point size. I've been able to do this kind of resizing in InDesign very easily, just scaling the combined objects achieves the desired effect. However, I can't figure out how to do it in After Effects, as it just changes the overall scale of the grouping.

Anyone got a way to do this? Have attached examples of the desired effect.

Trial1.jpgTrial2.jpgTrial3.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

just follow these parameters:

circle.gif

I have typed UU to show all modified properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no automated way. You simply have to animate the keyframe values in opposite directions to compensate. Simply use a size text animator on the text instead of scaling it directly.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just follow these parameters:

circle.gif

I have typed UU to show all modified properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also do this without the use of a text animator and a shape layer. Here's the step by step:

1. Create an ellipse shape layer by selecting the ellipse tool
  2. Set the fill and stroke as desired
  3. Drag out a circle while holding down the shift key
  4. Press the u key twice to reveal all modified properties of the shape layer
  5. Zero out the position of the ellipse by setting Ellipse 1>Transform Ellipse 1>Position to 0, 0 to center the circle
  6. Right click on Ellipse 1>Ellipse Path 1 and select Convert to Bezier Path
  7. Spin down Ellipse 1>Path 1 and set a keyframe
  8. Move the CTI down the timeline
  9. Select the G key to select the pen tool
  10. Double click on any of the vertices in the circle to change to the transform path tool and hold down Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd to uniformly resize the circle to the desired size
  11. Click on Path to select all keyframes and copy (Ctrl/Cmnd + C)
  12. Press Shift + Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + T to create a new text layer and enter and adjust your type
  13. Press the j key to move to the first path keyframe
  14. Select the pen tool (g) and start a path anywhere in the frame on the text layer
  15. Paste (Ctrl/Cmnd + v)
  16. Press UU to reveal all modified properties of the text layer
  17. Spin up then down the text property then spin down Path Options and set the path to Mask 1
  18. Adjust the baseline shift to position the text properly against the circle
  19. Adjust or animate the first or last margin in the Path Options to position the text on the circle

Once you have done this a few times it should take you about a two minutes.

Just goes to show you that there is more than one way to do almost everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick, a few notes to your workflow:

between step 6 and 7: additional step required for setting the first vertex. if you plan to animate your path after you converted it from parametric to bezier, you have to set a first vertex or else you would get a funky movement. FYI when you convert parametric path to bezier, you do see an indication of a first vertex exist, but there really isn't.

between step 16 and 17: additional step required to reset your text position or else its mask path won't be aligned with the original shape's path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roei, you found a bug in CC 2017 that I did not know was there. I didn't pull up AE to write the instructions, just wrote them from memory.

The easiest workaround does not require setting the first vertex. You convert from a parametric shape to a bezier path, set a path keyframe, select any vertex with the pen tool (g) and double click to bring up the transform tool (more reliable than the selection tool (v) when selecting vertices for moving), resize the path using the transform tool, move the CTI, double click any vertex, then resize again. This eliminates the step of setting the first vertex and for me is faster. The first vertex is already there, right at the top of the circle. This bug effects all parametric shapes. It also happens if you just move a single vertex. I have filed a bug report. I'm not sure how long it has been there but I am pretty sure that it wasn't there a few versions ago. I haven't been doing very many shape layer animations in my recent work but I used to convert shapes to bezier paths all the time and make text layers follow the path.

On your second point, if you select the type tool and then start typing you will have to reset the position of the layer, but if you follow the instructions precisely and create a type layer by using the keyboard shortcut Shift + Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + t) or create a new text layer using the menu resetting position is not necessary. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I have selected the type tool, clicked somewhere in the comp panel and then started typing. I select the type tool and draw out a text area, but I always enter text in the center of the comp, then adjust the baseline to match my use of the text layer and move on from there. Selecting the tool, clicking in the comp panel and then typing just slows me down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Rick

Roei, you found a bug in CC 2017 that I did not know was there.

refreshing your memory: Re: Shape Strange Behaviour - Bug?

This eliminates the step of setting the first vertex and for me is faster.

thanks for that. it appears that if you change your path right after you converted it to bezier, in any way, and only then create first keyframe and move on, this eliminates the need for setting a first vertex. but if you don't wan't to change the first path right after, I think resetting the first vertex is the way to go.

if you select the type tool and then start typing you will have to reset the position of the layer, but if you follow the instructions precisely and create a type layer by using the keyboard shortcut Shift + Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + t) or create a new text layer using the menu resetting position is not necessary.

thanks for that too, I was not aware that this shortcut will create a layer on the default centered layer position. makes sense too. I need to consider if if that makes a difference for me that much and worth the rewiring the shortcut map in my brain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fantastic, will try both!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! Knew there'd be a way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines