• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Background tasks crashes

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with InDesign a lot and never have any problems. Accept for now.

I was exporting a document to PDF when I realised it wasn't ready yet, so I cancelled it. From that moment on it doesn't stop cancelling. When I watch all background tasks it keeps saying that it's still cancelling. It's been a few days now and still going on. I can't close InDesign or turn off my computer at all. I've already tried to look for an answer everywhere but I can't find it so far.

Does anyone have any idea how I can stop this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to force quite Indesign? I had issues with this a few versions ago. Ended up turning off background export for difficult files. Haven't had in a long while. What version are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding! Unfortunately I already tried that a few times. It just keeps saying that I can't quit InDesign. I'm using the latest version (CC 2017).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, did you find a solution to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has happened to me the day before my final was due. It is still saying it's canceling and will not let me quit. Did you find a solution to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi davielb1993,

If I get your query InDesign background task is running continuously for days which is not allowing InDesign to shut down?

In order to assist further on this I would need some details like

Operating system (Exact version of MAC or Windows).

Version of InDesign

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is there a solution to this? Seems like a few people are having the exact same problem as me. I can't quit InDesign because the pdf export background task wouldn't complete and now it won't cancel. I'm running OsX El Capitan version 10.11.6 and InDesign CC 2015. What can I do to force it to stop?

thanks,

Luke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lukus80  wrote

What can I do to force it to stop?

You can hard reset your machine if you can't find any other way. After booting back you may want to abandon that stupid background processing and enjoy reliable foreground exporting, as it used to be:

1. Create blank text file “DisableAsyncExports.txt”.

2. Place it in:

MAC OS: /Applications/Adobe InDesign XX/Adobe InDesign XX.app/Contents/MacOS/DisableAsyncExports.txt

Win OS: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign XX\DisableAsyncExports.txt

(that said, path where your ID is installed).

3. To get things back, just remove/rename that text file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the script. Yeah I had to do a hard reset of my Mac in the end, was the only way... luckily I'd saved before the export. I actually quite like the background processing feature, I export quite a lot of heavy documents so means I can carry on working while it does its thing, but agree it really needs to be more stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Glad your issue is somewhat resolved.

If you want, can you please send me the document along with the video showing when the issue happens?

This can help us prioritize the issue for fixing in future releases..

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Try resetting your InDesign Preferences: Close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. you must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow)

You may have to do it a couple of times before you get the hang of it!

2) If it's still crashing try this: uninstall InDesign, using the drop-down in the Creative Cloud app (the cog icon), then run Adobe Cleaner before reinstalling InDesign.

3) Untick in inDesign Preferences undertake GPU Tab, tGPU Performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines