• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masking, with camera move

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I'm undertaking a new project. The basic idea is to mask out parts scenes, for example the sky, and replace it with something else.

In the attached video clip sample, my process is:

Apply an Alpha Matt to original footage, manually mask the Alpha Matt, to remove the sky. Then, frame by frame, animate / track the mask, so it stays aligned with the alpha matt / original footage, during the actual camera move.

I'm new enough to After Effects, so any tips on how to improve this technique would be great. The most important part of the process, I presume is obviously, the accuracy of the mask, as the camera moves.

My approach feels a little stone age though?

Example below:

http://iplayerhd.com...c71132c49/share

Cheers,

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get what I'm looking at in that example.

I see two pieces of video, both of which appear to contain water -- no sky. 

Where's the sky supposed to go?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha. The sky has been replaced by another clip. I think that's fairly obvious, with the horizon.

What might cause some confusion, is the fact that the original clip, which the sky has been taken out of, is actually blended with a third scene, a little bit.

Not a good sign for me, if someone doesn't even know what they're seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And exactly what is the problem? There's tons of sky replacment tutorials out there, but it all begins with shooting your footage suitably. Otherwise if you were hoping for a magic button to churn out hundreds of these videos a day, then no, it doesn't exist. For ev erything else simply learn how it's done by looking up those tutorials and educating yourself about masking techniques, tracking, using mocha AE, keying, channel-based operations to generate mattes and ultimately arraniging stuff in 3D for a realistic perception of your composite.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no ''problem'', my friend. I was hoping for someone to comment on my process, possibly compare it to their's?

I wasn't hoping for magic button, no.

Thanks, I'll look at tutorials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey David,
Did you end up solving this issue? Let us know how you did so.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Kevin, thanks for the reply. I haven't progressed my original idea much, but I've moved in a slightly different direction with it. Here are some latest composite tests. I need to shoot some footage, purposefully, with this technique in mind.

For now, I only have the chimneys as surfaces to work on. It certainly looks 3d though, which helps make it convincing. Very early though. If anyone is interested in the process I used, I'm happy to share

password: 'pw'

Private video on Vimeo

Private video on Vimeo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines