• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw is not available (grayed out) for 32-bit images!

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

After last update of Photoshop one of most crucial functions for me stopped working.

I used Camera Raw filter on 32-bit open EXR renders but now after last update the Camera Raw is not available (grayed out) for 32-bit images!

For 16-bit and 8-bit  images Camara Raw filter works properly.

Plase help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See attached - looks like this has been picked up, but you may want to add your own comments

ACR: Merge To HDR Pro in 32 bit fails | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Just updated it and got the same issue.

I've been trying many different ways, looking into old posts in the Adobe forum and nothing.

Quite annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This ruins my life. Thanks again adobe! Its always nice that you give users f***d up updates.

I use this 32 raw every single day for my work. And what should I do next??My clients are waiting.

I am so p*** off!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long Adobe need to solve it ? These CC updates doesnt change anything but cost a lot of money! I will buy CS6 or Affinity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the workaround options - but they're not ideal.  I hesitated updating camera raw for a few weeks as I always do to avoid these issues.  I work entirely in hdr and do all my editing in ACR.  Once again, I'm at a loss. 

The built-in dng hdr merge is not as good - I've never had as good of results with that.

Is there a way to go back to the last version of ACR?  I require it for my workflow.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step1

Install previous version of Lr and Ps - Via CC panel

Step2

install this and problem solved

https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/camera-raw/installer/CameraRaw_9_9.zip

I hope this helps someone else too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Did the whole version number of Ps 2017 change?  So it's more than the ACR?  Do you happen to know what version I'm looking for?

Thanks so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downgrade ps to the previous version and it will run perfectly with that acr version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea I'm trying to find that acr version for mac - can't open exe files.  Weirdly I can't find one version down of acr for mac.  Just 9.10.

Downgraded the PS no prob except I had to spend a few hours putting back all my actions, keyboard prefs, workspace, tool presets, general settings, brushes, and so on.  Got that running just fine now - all adobe links I can find are for acr 9.10, though.  Was there a mac link from the one you sent?  Thank you so much - I really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the previous versions of ACR for the Mac courtesy of ProDesign Tools.

All Adobe CC 2015 Updates: The Direct Download Links for Mac OS | ProDesignTools   scroll down that long list till you see it, and be sure to follow the download instructions outlined at the beginning or it won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was the update of Photoshop with some bug fixes. The problem still persists!!!

Wake up! Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom

This turned out not to be a bug but a deliberate decision by Adobe.

See attached link which explains why they did this ("to prevent unexpected visual mismatches between Camera Raw and Photoshop") and gives some workarounds

Command 'Camera Raw filter' not available in Merge to HDR Pro

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hugely bad decision to change this for us intricate hdr workers.  The workarounds don't cut it - the editablility of 32 bit files - which I always process multiple times and have complex gradients and adjustments in camera raw that I adjust on multiple layers - is gone when you try a workaround that turns it 16 bit flattening any smart object.  The 'built in hdr' in LR and bridge isn't nearly as good, accurate, or reliable, not to mention it still wouldn't let one edit the 32 bit image repeatedly.  I'm turning off updates and I guess forever stuck with the version I had to downgrade to in order to do my job unless Adobe decides to change its mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some testing with this a few days ago, and decided that things are actually better now.  Check out the better detail I was able to get with the new workflow compared to when using ACR for the 32 bit merged files was intorduced.

Problem with "Merge to HDR Pro"

When you get to the 32 bit file to ACR click on the preferences link at the bottom of the screen, and check Open in Photoshop as Smart Objects.  It seems to me that this is done and dusted.  I can absolutely get the same or better results as with the previous workflow, and it definitely maintains the look of the HDR image from ACR to the 16 bit file in Photoshop.  That is a definite improvement.

So please try the new workflow with an old set, and compare the results.

1. Select the bracketed set in Bridge and open in ACR
  2. Select all (Ctrl A)
  3. Merge to HDR (Alt M)
  4. Open the ACR Preferences and tick Open in Photoshop as Smart Objects and set output to 16 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not merger multipl files to HDR.

I use 32-bit EXR 3D renders from MODO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea - I imagine it works just fine/the same for a direct to 16 bit output, but that isn't what I need.  For instance, the set of files I'm working on now include 14 32 bit files that I process with acr, use acr brushes, gradients, tone curves, etc.  And I process each of these images like 4 or 5 different ways - variations.  Annnd - drag one 32bit smart object with acr filter to another document where I transfer the complete smart filter to the new file (more than saving an acr preset allows).  I go back and tweak so many things in all these files that having them flat 16 bit uneditable is sort of useless to me.

There is a download for acr 9.9, which I used to overwrite 9.10 where the change takes place and it's back to normal.  But I also don't like the idea of not being able to update camera raw for who knows how long. 

I've got a plethora of 32 bit stored files to work on - and having the editability of the acr filter on a smart object is crucial.  No way I'd remember all the things I did if I go back to a file in a week and have the 32bit file and a 16bit adjusted one if I need to make any changes.  Blerg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I can see how that might appeal to some - but once the object is open as a 16-bit object it cannot be used as a 'template' to drag the acr filter layer onto another 32 bit file (keeping gradients and local corrections in tact).  Can it?  It seems that it's just "as is" once it's out of acr.

Also, to compare, I made a file the 'new' way and used the exact same files to make an hdr the 'old' way.  They are vastly different.  The new way is far brighter, more blown out highlights that need very strong toning down, there's less control....the old merge to hdr way came out cleaner, with more controlled shadows/highlights, but darker overall.

I do like that we're given the choice of which way to do it for what best suits our needs/workflows, as I can see how the new way would work well for some people.  But we do need both ways to cover all work types - so I do hope (by now) it has been resolved so I may one day update photoshop/acr again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kleerp2007  wrote

............I do hope (by now) it has been resolved so I may one day update photoshop/acr again!

I think you will need to put in a feature request, as Adobe took a decision to shut this down (rather than it being a bug which they are looking to resolve). You can do so at the link below:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you didn't get the whole picture. This works for HDR, yes! But it doesn't work when editing 32bits in a layered file such as when you work with CGI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been speaking with Adobe and they've said it's a feature they've decided to remove. Insane!

Don't know how much I believe the current support person as the last one I spoke to a few months back just said they were fixing the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been talking to them as well and the Camera Raw team simply ignore me. Funny that you can still use Camera Raw when converting to 8 Bits but that is a slower workflow considering files with many 32 Bits layer. It doesn't make sense to not give us the option to choose. Very disappointed with their decision and with their poor user support. JUST GO BACK TO THE PREVIOUS STAGE GUYS! PELASE!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dont know if this helps you, but I rolled back to 2017.0.1 which means I can use Camera Raw 9.1.1 so that I can continue to use ACR on 32bit. It's not ideal as when you open the 32bit file in ACR it reads it wrong (goes brighter etc), but at least you can use the filter. I do this as a smart object so that at least I can get back to the start.

Not really a solution for layered 32bit files though.

Love your work btw Milton!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this and the whole Lightfarm team as well. But it feels like going backwards. At some point we would have to choose between a nice new feature or 32bit camera raw. Thanks btw!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm

Thank you for help! I do not exactly understand what caused this decision as it works always properly. There shuld be possibility to turn on 32-bit images in Camera Raw. It may be disabled in defauld but should be available to turn on.

My former workflow:

32-bit EXR 3D Render -> Convert to smart object (OPTIONAL)-> Camera Raw filter -> Conversion to 8bit without any changes at this step

The folliwing option:

Edit > Preferences > File Handling > Use Adobe Camera Raw to Convert Documents from 32 bit to 16/8 bit = ON

seems to work properly. The only disadvantage is - I can not convert my 32-bit image to Smart object to apply "Smart" Camera Raw filter. So I can not change once applied changes.

I was afraid that the Camera Raw would come into action AFTER conversion to 8-bit. Fortunately, it is not.

I did test on 32-bit EXR and 8-bit JPG files (exact the same 3D render saved to two different formats JPG an 32b EXR)

I applied Camera Raw on 8-bit JPG (Filter > Camera Raw) and on 32-bit EXR (Image > Mode > 8 Bits --> Camera Raw ).

It seems that for 32 to 8-bit conversion Camera Raw Filter dialog works for "RAW" 32-bit information. I was able to control burnouts areas which was pure 255/255/255 white in JPG and there was no control.

So its ok for now, but will Adobe change it in the future to have normal workflow?

This abnormal Adobe decision caused a lot of flustration and waste of time!

Is it possible to install former Photoshop version and have 2 of them at the same time ? How to do it ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines