• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5.5: Images in EPUB export appear blurry

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CS5.5 to create EPUB from InDesign file. The file has several PNG and JPEG images that have 150 ppi and large enough resolution, but in the exported EPUB-file they seem blurry (mostly the text and fine lines) in Adobe Digital Editions. In export options I have selected 150 ppi and the conversion is PNG, image size is relative to page. What could cause the blurryness and what can I try to fix it?

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the text is "blurry" it sounds as if, some how, it's been rasterised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't mean the text in text frames, but the text within the images (I have tables and such).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you’re working with EPUB the best advice anyone can give you is to upgrade. CS5.5 EPUB tools are quite old.

The tools in new versions of InDesign have improved dramatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here is a picture of how it looks.

Sieppaa.JPG

The picture is the table on the left. The text on the right seems fine, so the blurryness is only in the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional: You have to consider that 150ppi is not high. If you want to make text and vectors look smooth on the screen, you have to work with a 4 times higher resolution than with images. That would be 1200ppi compared to 300ppi for a printed image. You have to expect blurry text and lines with only 150ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hei.

the blurryness of the text occurs, because it is having scaled to fit to the screen. ADE does not handle image scaling very well. counterintuitively you should blur a liitle those images in photoshop. characters blurred edges makes them look much more better on different screen sizes.

ants

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text and vectors in images or placed PDF/INDD files are always rasterized when exported as EPUB or Published Online. If InDesign could export them as SVG it could be avoided but this is not happening. You have to live with this limitation. The only resolution is at the moment to increase the object export resolution and only export PNG, not JPG. It would still rasterize the content but it would be less visible.

It has been improved in CS6 and later in CC 2015, but this is a limitation you have to live with.

I don't know, if some 3rd party developer has yet developed an export module with more capabilities, but I am not aware of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign EPUB forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines