• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you Change Individual Footnote Numbering Style?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I need my first footnote on the first page of each section to be an asterisk rather than "1". After the first one, the footnotes need to continue normally (1,2,3...)

Is this possible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Sadly, no legitimate way using InDesign's feature set. (I'm sure scripting these steps would work to speed it up, and you might explore plug-ins—though I looked and didn't find one.) These are the footnote controls as of today, and while you can change the numbering style for all the footnotes, you can't change it mid-way through.

You can request this feature however, for a future release: Wishform - Adobe InDesign

InDesign CCss_017.pngInDesign CCss_018.png

InDesign CCss_019.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how I handle this...

1. I have the client use a * for the first footnote in Word, and then number the rest normally. (This is important in my legal journals, because footnotes cross-reference other footnote numbers so they need to numbered correctly prior to importing into InDesign.)
  2. In InDesign, they come in numbered 1- whatever.
    InDesign CCss_012.png
  3. I cut the first note to the clipboard.
    InDesign CCss_013.png
  4. I delete the 1 reference in the body of the text. The footnotes renumber.
    InDesign CCss_014.png

5. I click in front of the 1 in the footnote, press enter, arrow up and paste.
    InDesign CCss_015.png
  6. I add the * and the en space in front.
    InDesign CCss_016.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see.

So there is no proper way to change individual numbering styles?

My solution so far was to just create a small text box just for the first footnote. Your's seems easier.

I'll wait a while in case there is a more "legitimate" way to do this, and if not, i'll mark your answer as correct.

Thank you for replying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, no legitimate way using InDesign's feature set. (I'm sure scripting these steps would work to speed it up, and you might explore plug-ins—though I looked and didn't find one.) These are the footnote controls as of today, and while you can change the numbering style for all the footnotes, you can't change it mid-way through.

You can request this feature however, for a future release: Wishform - Adobe InDesign

InDesign CCss_017.pngInDesign CCss_018.png

InDesign CCss_019.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand.

Thank you very much for replying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very glad I could help. And like you, I hope one day that this gets automated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines