Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font looks 'broken' when used in InDesign

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm working on a document for a client and need to use Nexa Slab Heavy font. However, when I open it, the text appears to be distorted with letters being a different size and set not on straight line. I tried uninstalling and installing again but with no luck. When I open the font in Word, it works ok. Also, there are no issues when I validate the font in the Font Book. Do you know how I could solve this issue? Appreciate any suggestions Attached is the screenshot of the font in use (light style works ok).

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 10.16.47.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Perhaps look and see if there is another font file type available rather than either the .otf or .ttf that you are currently using.

Many people will often say something along the lines of

OpenType is better

Or occasionally TrueType is better

Just have a look at these example links:

OTF vs. TTF Fonts: Which One Is Better?

truetype - Difference between OTF (Open Type) or TTF (True Type) font formats? - Super User

However the truth is somewhere in the middle.

OTF is more modern and generally gives more o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps look and see if there is another font file type available rather than either the .otf or .ttf that you are currently using.

Many people will often say something along the lines of

OpenType is better

Or occasionally TrueType is better

Just have a look at these example links:

OTF vs. TTF Fonts: Which One Is Better?

truetype - Difference between OTF (Open Type) or TTF (True Type) font formats? - Super User

However the truth is somewhere in the middle.

OTF is more modern and generally gives more options but sometimes depending on how much of the original file is just a TTF converted or an "Actual" OTF will determine the result.

I have however also heard the counter argument that TTF is better because its been around longer so whilst you "supposedly" (I'm not a typography expert) can't do so much with it... It's been tried and tested therefore what you see is what you get.

Regardless

Sometimes faulty display of fonts will be down to something in the file type not being read properly... So whatever the font file you have installed for that font... find the other version.

This should solve 80-90% of most peoples problems.

If the problem persists then come back and we will look into this further.

YMMV.

Best wishes,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! I followed your advice and tried finding .otf version of the font. I contacted the company I bought the typeface from but thought I'd have to wait few hours until they respond, so I tried one of these online file converters and changed all my .ttf to .otf and installed them again. Worked perfectly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi upperplanet​!

No worries. Glad to be of help and that that solved your problem.

Any other issues just message me or start another post.

Best wishes,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you looked what format the one you have is? Type > Find Font.

But to me it looks more like poor hinting than anything to do with the format.

Font hinting - Wikipedia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines