• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Running Headers—I've read tutorials and many people's method, but got nowhere.

Participant ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I spent yesterday and until now at 3 p.m. trying to establish headers for my

367-page document in InDesign CC 2017 to be printed as a book, trying to figure-out

headers for it.

Running headers seem to be the best kind for this, but I haven't been able to work it out

even after reading many people's method, including ones referred to in InDesign searches.

I want the headers to be established so that I can insert from the text what I want in them.

My book has 4 sections and many subjects, but I do not want to choose "sections,"

"chapters" or anything in the running headers specs.

Just an aside: This will be my final task in InDesign for this book.

I've made my way through pagination and text-wrapping.

Thank you so much,

Morty

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

The text frames are on the A-Master. Note the dotted blue outline on the unselected frame, and that you can select the frames. Add the text, format.

InDesign CCss_027.png

Navigate to the body pages. The text frames are visible but not accessible on the body pages. You cannot select the frames. Note the dotted blue outline.

InDesign CCss_028.png

Still on the body pages, Control Shift click (Cmd Shift click on a Mac) on the text with the Selection tool. Note that the dotted outline is now solid, and the frame is selected.

InDesign CCss_029.png

Still on the body pag

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Morty, to clarify—you do not want InDesign to collect and display the chapter names or section names for you. You do want to be able to type in custom content on each body page?

In that case, add the running head text frames on the A-Master and add the words Placeholder Text. Format as desired. That text will appear on all the body pages.

On each body page, Control+Shift+click on the words Placeholder Text with the Selection tool—which copies the frame to the body page—then switch to the Text tool and replace the words Placeholder Text with your custom content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb. I'll try that later…need a nap right now!

Just want to add to my post that I had established the running header text boxes

for each page—if that might affect your solution.

Yes, I do want to be able put the words in the running header text boxes.

I understand (correctly?) that if set it up right I can just copy the words from

the text and paste them into the running header text boxes.

Yours truly,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to A-Master and clicked in text box,

went to Type column>Text Variables>New>, typed Placeholder Text>Running Header Paragraph Style (basic)

>OK, selected Placeholder Text>Insert.

Worked on A-Master but when Layout>Pages>Apply Master to Pages, it didn't.

Do you think it's because I followed your instructions with the running header text boxes

I had previously installed? Should I start fresh instead?

Also, the Master Pages have everything that's in the document, right?—not just new things?

—so they shouldn't be deleted?

Thanks, Barb,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, the Master Pages have everything that's in the document, right?

The Master Pages hold the repeating information for the Body Pages—headers, footers, page numbers, repeating graphics. For more information on Master Pages, see Learn how to use master pages in InDesign.

If you want InDesign to collect and display the chapter names or section names for you, then use Type > Text Variables. That's one of the things Text Variables do.

If you want to be able add to type in custom content on each body page, simply;

1. Draw text frames for the running heads text frames on the A-Master with the Text tool.
  2. Type in the words Placeholder Text.
  3. Format as desired.
  4. The words Placeholder Text will appear on all the Body Pages using A-Master.
  5. On each Body Page, Control+Shift+click on the words Placeholder Text with the Selection tool—which copies the frame forward to the Body Page.
  6. Switch to the Text tool and replace the words Placeholder Text with your custom content.
  7. Repeat steps 5–6 for each Body Page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I would add to part 3 of Barb's excellent list - because you are overriding the running head frame on every page, you should use a paragraph style when you format that text. You don't want to be going through the frame on every page if you decide to change the typeface or size etc of your running heads later.

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Malcolm, but are you saying that the paragraph style I chose (none) is no good?

I do not care about doing each page separately—I am going to use only one typeface, point size

and so on and not change it later.

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Morty,

Well - I wouldn't say that it's no good, and if you're confident that you won't want to change the appearance of the running head, then you should be fine. It's just that I've seen many occasions on these forums where people have asked how they can change the style of something that has been styled manually, ie. without using a paragraph style. It can happen for many reasons, but more commonly I suppose when you're dealing with a client rather than doing the whole thing yourself.

But if the point is that it's always best to use paragraph and character styles wherever you can, because it's very quick to do and it's a good habit to get into because it can save such a lot of time later down the track if things have to change.

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, smoothsea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see this reply of mine, Barb? I did what you said and it, and you're repeating it here.

I asked if I should start fresh with a new Master Page, since I had Running Head text boxes

before I got your instructions, and Placeholder Text did not appear on the text pages.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did see your reply, Morty.

I repeated my answer in a list specifically because you noted that you went in a different direction, adding in "Type column>Text Variables>New>, typed Placeholder Text>Running Header Paragraph Style (basic)>OK, selected Placeholder Text>Insert." on your own, and then questioned why it didn't work. I know you are still fairly new to InDesign, and I was trying to make this as straightforward as possible.

In addition, because of your comment about "master pages having everything in a document", I attempted to clarify what master pages are used for (they hold the repeating elements), and gave a link to a much more detailed explanation so that you can fill in the gaps in your knowledge.

Back to the task at hand, if the text frames are already on the A-Master, just remove the text and pick up with step 2. If you would prefer to delete them and start over, that's fine too. I think smoothsea's comment about using styles on the Master Pages was an excellent addition, because even though you don't intend to change the typeface, size or style, sometimes we find surprises lurking around the corner and it behooves us to be prepared.

If you have any additional difficulties following the steps I provided, please share a screen shot of your A-Master pages with the Pages panel included so that one of us can help you troubleshoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, Barb—I sent my last reply with screen shots a few seconds before I got this reply from you.

Sorry—I thought I followed your instructions, but I guess I didn't.

I'll do that now.

—Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, Barb—Applying A-Master to all pages worked

but control-shift-click with Selection Tool brought up a menu,

but I don't know what you mean by "that copies the frame forward to the Body Page."

And then selecting the Text Tool wouldn't allow me to replace the Placeholder Text

with anything. Wasn't able to type in that box.

Onward and upward!

Thanks for hanging-in-there with me,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text frames are on the A-Master. Note the dotted blue outline on the unselected frame, and that you can select the frames. Add the text, format.

InDesign CCss_027.png

Navigate to the body pages. The text frames are visible but not accessible on the body pages. You cannot select the frames. Note the dotted blue outline.

InDesign CCss_028.png

Still on the body pages, Control Shift click (Cmd Shift click on a Mac) on the text with the Selection tool. Note that the dotted outline is now solid, and the frame is selected.

InDesign CCss_029.png

Still on the body pages, switch to the Type tool and replace the text.

InDesign CCss_030.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah—Maybe I should have mentioned I'm a Mac guy, because in this message from you

you mention that control-shift-click is for Windows, and command-shift-click is for Mac.

This is great, Barb.

Another question, please: I set Placeholder Text in the typeface and point size I want

the headers to be in, but when I paste text from the document into it, I don't get that.

What do I need to do?

Yours truly,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > Paste without Formatting or Sh Cmd V

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super! You're a gem, Barb.

Last question for now: If one clicks on Correct Answer for a part of the discussion,

does it just apply to that part, or to the whole discussion (the topic of the discussion)?

I ask because even though I feel you've solved all the problems involved, I'm afraid

to close the discussion in case (though probably not) I have another problem related to it.

Is it better I now click Correct Answer for the correct answers, or just the ones I'm

confident in my understanding, and in a short while mark all correct?

—Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Morty. I'm so glad we have taken care of this issue.

Here's how the forums work:

1. You can always come back to any thread and ask additional questions, even after it was marked as correct. Those of us on the thread will be notified and will stop by to see if we can help.
  2. Marking a thread as correct frees us to work through the unanswered threads, otherwise we waste time reading the whole thing, only to realize the question was already answered. (The forum is primarily staffed by volunteers, who answer questions in our "spare" time.)
  3. You can also begin a new thread any time, and even add a link to this one if you think information here is relevant to the new question. That will allow all of us to know that you have a new, unanswered question.
  4. Finally, in a long thread like this one, marking helpful answers as helpful and one answer as correct helps others looking for answers on this same issue in the future. These threads come up in a google search, so someone reading through this in a few months or years can quickly scan through it to see what was helpful and what was correct, and skip the rest.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb—I don't suppose there are keyboard shortcuts for the Selection tool or Type tool?

—Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Morty,

There are - but you have to be a bit careful.

If you have a text frame selected with the selection tool, then you can double-click the content in the frame and your cursor will change to the type tool - that's easy.

On the other hand, if you have the type tool selected and you are in a frame, make sure that you click out of the frame first and then you can type "v" to change to the selection tool (the black arrow) or "a" to change to the direct selection tool (white arrow).

The reason that you have to be careful is that if you don't click out of the frame first then you could end up with a stray "v" or "a" (or "w" if you're using the shortcut to change to preview mode) in your text. I've done it myself many times!

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All true, but I'm all about simplicity. Here's what I teach my InDesign students:

1. Double click the text in a frame to switch to the Type tool
  2. Press Esc to return to the Selection tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb - sorry for jumping in - I thought you might have gone to bed!

I like point 2 - never knew that!

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Asleep or not, this forum is a collaborative effort. That's why I enjoy it so much, and why it works so well for the folks asking questions. Jump in any time, Malcolm—you definitely added value to the thread.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, Malcolm—don't apologize for trying to help!

Barb, bless her, is an ACP with a lot of experience. And she's a nice person.

—Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb, I am GROOVING behind how simple you have made this for me on this 369-pager.

I do section heads (4) on left or even pages, and other on right/odd pages.

I have to be careful not to drift off because it got to be routine, and I may

hit a Return instead of Page Down. But even then, no biggie.

—Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines