• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to check spelling but dictionary is stuck in French (rather than English UK)

Contributor ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this from the help menu but no effect:

- - - -

Set the default language dictionary for the current document

You can change the default language dictionary for a document or for all new documents you create. Changing the default dictionary in an existing document doesn’t affect text that has already been created or text that you type into an existing text frame.

Note:

Use the Character Style or Paragraph Style panel to set a specific dictionary for a specific style. The Language menu appears in the Advanced Character Formats section.

• Open the document.
  • Select the Selection tool from the toolbar and make sure no items are selected in the document.
  • Choose Type > Character.

- - - -

So as it stands I can't spell check. I do frequently do jobs in French and use French within the H&Js so wondering if I've made a problem somewhere. But it's something I've done for several years and not had the issue before.

Any help much appreciated, a screengrab attached.

Check_Spelling_and_CEHJ97_CPD_3_1_indd___154_.jpg

Mac Sierra 10.12.4

InDesign 12.1.0.56

PS A couple more grabs:

Preferences_and_CEHJ97_CPD_3_1_indd___96_.jpg

Screenshot_27_04_2017__16_42.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Language is a Character-Level attribute. Select your existing text, and then change the Language setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Language is a Character-Level attribute. Select your existing text, and then change the Language setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, I can now see there are some para styles that still have French advanced character settings, can weed them out. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me, too. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines