Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New system (ryzen, 1080ti, SSDs...)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone

My brother is moving to PC, and even though I know PC pretty well, I'm not an expert with video editing, so I come here to ask ig the config I made for him is good or not

This is what I'm thinking for him:

1 x Ryzen 1800X

1 x noctua

1 x asus prime x370 pro

4 x gskill trident 16 Go ddr4 3000 MHz

1 x msi 1080ti armor oc

1 x fractal design S

1 x corsair ax 760

1 x SSD Samsung 256 GB 850 pro (for the system)

1 x Samsung 960 evo nvme 250 GB (for the cache)

1 x crucial mx 300 1TB (media files)

1 x Seagate barracuda 3TB

So, I chose the 1080ti because he does a lot of after effect too, not only premiere, and he also uses davinci.

My big question was for the disk configuration, I did like that because of that link: https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/info/storage-drives-for-video-editing

Is it overkill, is it the right way to put the cache on the nvme, instead of the system?

(He will have a NAS to move all his finished project, that's why I don't plan on having a raid for the HDD)

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the samsung 960 nvme pcie ssd may be overkill just for cache, typically sata ssd speeds are fine unless you are working with large frame size uncompressed preview/render cache. there are several ways to setup cache, depending on needs and budget. one alternative would be to use a samsung 960 500gb for both os+cache, but some like keeping the boot/os drive separate for drive imaging software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was my main concern, maybe we don't need that much for the cache, and I was thinking of putting system + cache on the nvme.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nearly identical to my build that I just finished. The only thing I would change is the SSD size. You only have room for 1 M.2 SSD in that board and you won't have a faster hard drive on your machine so go at least 500GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So only 1 Samsung 960 nvme at 512 GB for system + cache? I was thinking 512 GB for the cache might be a bit too much no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines