Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Meta information displaying after generating output

New Here ,
May 30, 2008 May 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

My project files have many, many lines of meta data between <head> and </head>. Certain documents are displaying meta code ONLY after generating output and when viewed in Explorer. I don't see the meta data showing when I view the doc files in Design View or Preview mode.

The stray meta text that shows on both docs is the following:
Maintenance Menu>Setup Functions tab>Point">

I believe it is one of these lines of meta data:
<meta NAME=MS-HKWD CONTENT="Main Menu>Maintenance Menu>Setup Functions tab>Point">
<meta NAME=MS-HKWD CONTENT="Sale Setup button,Main Menu>Maintenance Menu>Setup Functions tab>Point">

After generation, the stray meta data shows up in the 4th line of code when I View Source

<!doctype HTML public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Frameset//EN">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">Maintenance Menu>Setup Functions tab>Point">
<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp - www.adobe.com">

I know this isn't much to go on, but has anyone encoutered this type of issue? Any suggestions to try?

Thanks for any help!

~Beth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Beth,

Those embedded index keywords contain greater-than symbols which, because angle brackets are used to surround tags in HTML, are being misinterpreted by your browser. So, you'll need to remove them from your keywords and replace them with, say, &gt; (the named entity that corresponds to the > character).

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks a bit like breadcrumbs. Generate with breadcrumbs turned off and see if that changes things.

Is it causing a problem?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete & Peter,
Thanks for your replies. A strange, but happy thing has occured. After opening the docs again, re-pasting Heading 1 text (and doing nothing else definitive), I closed the docs, and re-generated the output. Now the stray meta text is gone! I don't know why, but I'm glad 🙂
Pete: I will keep in mind your tip about the embedded angle brackets for any future occurences.
Peter: Thanks for your suggestion too.
~Beth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
For Future Reference:
There were some errors in my meta data. The problem-causing meta text had html code for quotes instead of the symbol, ". This seemed to have a snowball effect causing other lines of meta data to become visible in a browser.

EXAMPLE OF INCORRECT META DATA:

<meta NAME=MS-HKWD CONTENT=""Purchase Orders&quot">

CORRECTED:

<meta NAME=MS-HKWD CONTENT=""Purchase Orders">

When I corrected it, and put the quote symbol in place of the the quote tag, the meta data no longer shows in a browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp