• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How should text flow around image spanning two columns?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is as much a design question as Indesign. I have a two column layout with graphs that span the page, splitting the text. I have it set up so that the left column text continues to the right column above the image, rather than jumping down below the image. Is this correct, or should the text flow all the way down the left column to the bottom of the page, and only then continue to the right? It always seemed to make sense to not jump across the image.

If I have to change it, how could I tell indesign to flow through/jump the image? The graphs are anchored objects, which I set up to span columns, and in the flow, are after the end of the top-right column. So breaking the text into top sections and bottom sections happened 'naturally.'

More simply stated, as far as text flow. A or B below? A is what I have currently.

layout.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's say you have a single text frame with 2 colums:

If you anchor the image as anchored frame in its own paragraph and

1. if this paragraph with the anchor in it has spanning colums it would run like in A
  2. if you anchor it in a normal text or paragraph without spanning column in the left column it would run like in B.
  3. If you don't anchor the image it would run like in B.

How it works better you have to decide based on the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I'd say A, but maybe you could reduce the gutter and increase the space above and below the image to make it more obvious to the reader. Or vice-versa if you went with B.

But as Willi says, it depends on the content, particularly if the image is referenced in the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well given that most people read from top to bottom left to right I would say B.

How many articles do you pick up where they go from top left to right first and then bottom?

I can't think of many....

Just honest thoughts...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would have to justify better why to use A... I'm not convinced..

Although I take Willi's and Danny's points into consideration.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good point. I think if you break all columns down the centre like that, you risk disorientating the the reader a little whichever way the text flows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines