Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatic Stacking of Virtual Copies Trouble

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thanks in advance for your insights. I am having trouble with my Virtual Copy stacks -- being that I am having to manually stack the copies after creating them. I'm not sure if this is a setting I changed a long time ago or if Lightroom is being finicky. I've scoured every drop-down and setting page to no avail. I hope this is an issue easily resolved by pointing out a checkbox I haven't found. Until then, I found that using Auto-Stack by Capture Time set to "0 seconds" is an okay workaround for now.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Ok -- so I seem to have found the source of the issue. In a Collection, Virtual Copies are not stacked automatically. However, in Library grid view, they are. Vitual Copies made in a Collection will be stacked in the Library folders.

I really wish there was an option for automatic stacking in a collection besides "Auto-Stack by Capture Time." Since I use collections as edits of my library folders and organize these selections using collections and collection sets, I do most of my development out

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok -- so I seem to have found the source of the issue. In a Collection, Virtual Copies are not stacked automatically. However, in Library grid view, they are. Vitual Copies made in a Collection will be stacked in the Library folders.

I really wish there was an option for automatic stacking in a collection besides "Auto-Stack by Capture Time." Since I use collections as edits of my library folders and organize these selections using collections and collection sets, I do most of my development out of there. I seems strange that this automatic virtual stacking functionality only works in the Library...

Julieanne Kost​ @jkost, my Lightroom goddess, hear my prayers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've stumbled over LR's "unusual" stacking design.  Stacking is specific to the folder or collection in which you made the stack.  So if you make a stack in a folder, you can't view the stacking in the collection, and if you make a stack while in a collection, you can't view it in the folder.  It is doubly weird that creating a virtual copy always creates the stack in the folder even when you're in a collection.

Many people have complained about this design; please add your me-too vote and details of your issue to this topic in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all product feedback: Lightroom: Stacking in folders and collections should be global | Photoshop Family Customer Communit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok -- however, when creating a virtual copy in the collection you are working in, the copy with not automatically stack with the original in that collection. This was not stated specifically in your post above and I wanted to clarify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it does seem inconsistent that virtual copies made while in a collection get stacked in the folder. I suggest you call that out if you post in the feature-request topic, where Adobe developers will see it (they don't actively participate in this forum).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe. Why has this thread disappeared when you still haven't fixed this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These forums migrated to a new platform last year and most of the old links didn't get updated.  Here's the link to the post referenced above:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-stacking-in-folders-and-collections-should-...

But note that Adobe considers the current behavior of stacks "as designed".  The designed behavior is actually quite messy and complicated:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lr-classic-v8-2-1-stacking-missing-from... 

I really don't like it, but I sincerely doubt that at this point Adobe will ever change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis Agreed in that they will likely not change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i'm looking for turn off "automatic stack when virtual copy", do you have a idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines