Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HW conf. for premiere CC 2017 new user

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to start using the Premiere CC 2017 (I'm a student in cinema class) in cloud and going  to purchase a new computer especially  for it.

We are very confused about what are system requirements and will appreciate help.

Is the following configuration good enough for a regular use of the SW? Need any changes/additional parts?

I5 with 16G RAM

DISK SSD 256 or 512G

INVIDIA GTX 1070

24" screen

Anything else I need in the computer or the net?

Thanks in advance,

J

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of media will you be editing?  If 4K, then you will need a more powerful processor and more RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bob.

I'm student, so I'm not sure.

I guess full HD (1080p), 4K maybe in the future

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jonathanelb  wrote

4K maybe in the future

You will need a more powerful computer in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also you really need two SSD's if they are SATA III 6Gbit/s SSD's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, I would not recommend a combination of an i5 CPU and a GTX 1070 GPU because for most workflows in Adobe Premiere Pro the GTX 1070 is way too much GPU for even the fastest i5 CPU (at best the very latest i5-7600K performs roughly on par with a six-year-old Sandy Bridge i7-2600K CPU). What that means is that the GPU will sit idle most of the time, waiting for the CPU to catch up. A GTX 1050 Ti would more than suffice for an i5 CPU (or a GTX 1060 6GB if you're doing DaVinci Resolve, which makes heavy use of the GPU).

And the GTX 1050 Ti is the absolute lowest GPU that I'd recommend if you must have a card that has 4GB of VRAM. Cheaper GPUs either have much less VRAM than that or are too weak for use with Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I would like to make sure  I understand correctly. For "normal" premiere pro cc 2017 use, I should take the GTX1070 with I7. Correct?

Can you please detailed the sys. configuration? What I7 model? RAM 16GB ? SSD should I take 256 or 512? Anything else I need to verify I get?.

Again, I apologize, but I am not expert in HW and on one hand do not want to spend money where I don't need to, but on the other hand I need the SW to be able to make the work properly.

Thanks again

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With your planned GTX 1070 you'll really need an expensive rig that consists of an i7-6900K 8-core, 16-thread CPU or better, an X99 motherboard, 32GB or 64GB of RAM and a 512GB or a 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD in order to come anywhere close to fully utilizing the GTX 1070. And such an expensive high-end hardware requirement for the GTX 1070 when used with Premiere Pro may put you off on buying such a build.

By the way, you failed to mention what is your maximum system budget.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Sorry I wasn't able to connect earlier.

Budget is about 2K$ - but is flex, as what is more important to me is to understand what I really need to purchase for the premiere CC Pro.

If I will need to add more $ I will do.

But is the GTX 1070 the one I need? Maybe this SW can work properly with other model that will required less expensive configuration?

My point is that I just know I want to start using the Premiere PRO CC SW and I have no preference to any component of the HW or to any GTX or other graphic card - if I can replace the GTX 1070 with something cheaper that this SW still can work properly  with it and then also the rest of the HW will be cheaper - it will be great.

But on the other hand  if the minimum is GTX 1070 - then I will purchase it.

Can you please clarify the point?

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonathan,

Like I was trying to state, a balanced configuration is critical to performance in Premiere Pro. If any single component is significantly faster than the others, then you would end up with a complete waste of money. If on the other hand any single component is significantly slower than the rest, then that underperforming component will be the limiting factor.

That is exactly why I would strongly recommend an i7-6900K or an i7-6950X or an eight-core AMD Ryzen 7 platform in order to come anywhere close to fully utilizing that GTX 1070. Even a quad-core i7-7700K would not be powerful enough for the GTX 1070. Simply put, running a GTX 1070 on a system with only four CPU cores is like trying to ride a vehicle whose wheels are an elongated oval instead of perfectly round: You'd never attain decent ride comfort or handling in that vehicle.

Randall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randall,

Thank you for the clear explanation and example..now I think I understand the point.

I also understand that GTX 1070 is almost a must - as a minimum, in order to run properly the Premiere Pro

and the rest is built around him.

So I will take your advise and move to the next step - purchasing the HW.

Thanks a lot again for all the advises and help.

All the best,

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW - If I work in the cloud (paying monthly to Adobe for using the SW) - do I still need the same configuration you wrote me?

Thank

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jonathanelb  wrote

BTW - If I work in the cloud

You don't work in the cloud.  You connect to Adobe to sign in occasionally and to install updates.

All of your work is local.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again for your time and patience .

I appreciate it.

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines