• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign says "JavaScript Error" and will not open. Help!

Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a CS3 version on InDesign. i have uninstalled and re installed 3 times to no avail. it continues to read JAVA SCRIPT ERROR. my other adobe programs work fine but why pay over $300 if all my programs will not work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

InDesign CS3 is old but all was working well until I upgraded to Yosemite.

I think your only chance of running CS3 would be to drop back to an earlier version of OSX.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to the InDesign forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same question. Shows error 45 string object is invalid line 387 and line 428

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating systems are you using nina noelle romr60983911​ and  sandi hampton?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Yosemite 10.10.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same question. Shows error 45 string object is invalid line 387 and line 428

It sounds like you have a startup script running. Startup scripts would be saved in:

/Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2017/Scripts/startup scripts

The OP's question might be a reference to Java (not Javascript). The newer version of Java can make installing older versions of ID challenging on the latest versions of OSX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have downloaded the latest Java but it still dose no open inDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't think you will be able to run CS3 on Yosemite, you could try dropping back to Java 6.0

Download Java for OS X 2015-001

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple just helped me install the latest version of Java. The Java Control Panel says only experience users should delete Java files. That is not me. suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. That is Java 8. To install Java 6 it indicates that it will erase Java 8. Ok to just go ahead and download Java6? Fearful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to remove the mentioned startup scripts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willi, looked into the inDesign Applications folder and looked for /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2017/Scripts/startup scripts and could not find it. So thankful for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. That is Java 8. To install Java 6 it indicates that it will erase Java 8. Ok to just go ahead and download Java6? Fearful.

Java and JavaScript are not the same, perhaps you could show us a screen capture of the error? CS3 is 10 years old, I don't think you are going to get it running on Yosemite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a way to show you my captured error attachment. Here is what is says. ID JavaScript Error!

Error string: Object in invalid Line 387

Another just the same only says Line 428

I have installed Java 6 as recommended but I have been told to remove Start up Scripts. I cannot get into applications to remove in inDesign. I am too inexperienced to find this. Suggestions?

InDesign CS3 is old but all was working well until I upgraded to Yosemite. I have been doing fine for over a year in my freelance. Cannot find a CS5 to purchase. My freelance business is slow but my one good client is waiting for this file I have  "locked up" to be at the printers Monday. I can get to my file by doing a shared guest user so that may get me to Monday but what about my other jobs I will want to do in inDesign? Cannot afford the $1000+ for a new program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CS3 is old but all was working well until I upgraded to Yosemite.

I think your only chance of running CS3 would be to drop back to an earlier version of OSX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot afford the $1000+ for a new program.

You can not purchase perpetually licensed versions of the CC applications. The subscription can be turned on and off, so if you only need InDesign there is a $20 per month option, which you could purchase to finish the project:

Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob. This could work for me. Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're not an experienced user it might be worth mentioning: upgrading your system can be very expensive, only Mac OS is free. Each Mac OS just breaks many old apps, so a system upgrade should always budget for upgrading ALL your apps (and any that keep working are a neat bonus).  Mac OS is updated more and more often, with less and less regard for old apps, so subscription apps - which include upgrades - are often a cost effective choice. If you want to step off the merry go round, step right off - no new system, no new Mac, or monitor, or camera. Old apps are great if you stick to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank, Just looked at purchasing Creative Suiet 3 on EBay. (Since I do not have the installation number anymore. It was given to me by a freelance client that I worked for for three years. Harbor Frieght). Do you think buying this and installing it will take me back to where all worked well. Yosemite is probably the problem. And I have heard that something in my Library is at fault and that it is really hard to detect. If I go back to Lion (take it to the Mac store for this??) and installing the CS3 program I buy...... What is your thoughts on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems a bit penny wise? You are going to purchase software that is 10years old from an unknown source, (which may violate the end user agreement), forces you to install a 5 year old OS, and prevents future OS upgrades, all to avoid a $20 per month subscription that can be turned on and off as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it says pay the whole years subscription up front. And turning it on and off, do you still pay for the off time? I don't get it. I need to read more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You get a discount for committing to a year. There is a monthly option for a single application that can be turned on and off for $30. The entire suite on a monthly basis is $75. There also is a free demo for the apps that used to be 30days, but I think that is now a week.

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 2.12.10 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed Java 6 as suggested. Nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could not find the Startup Scripts  /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2017/Scripts/startup scripts as you suggested. Remember this is a ten year old program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines