• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop or Illustrator? From a new noobie noob

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am super new and my first question is Photoshop or Illustrator? I want to draw vehicles and machines from scratch. Not from a photo.

1). The technical accuracy is a must in the final product. The product will be more informational than pretty sketches

2). Wireframe and surface rendering. Does the artist build a wireframe then add surfaces, color and lighting?

3). The object must be printable eventually and while in the binary ether, visible from all sides as in 3D or at least be able to rotate it freely and easily.

4) Canvas size in the software. When exporting to a print shop the final version needs to be a jpeg scalable to final print sizes of; 11x14, 14x17 & possibly 19x24

5) and for personal use, I want to be able to render 'for fun' sketches like design a new car, truck, assembly line robotic welding appliance

6) I'm told that I need to purchase a tablet (Cintiq) and stylus to connect to my pc for 'loose' sketches. But I need to be able to 'build' machines with technical accuracy. I cannot stress that enough. Proportion, ratio, LxWxH, change the tire size, reposition the doors etc. Flexibility would be an accurate word. Flexibility in the build phase and technical accuracy in the final or finished phase.
7) Be able to convert my final work into a jpeg for a print shop

8) Finally, I want to be able to take all of my hand drawn work, photograph them and upload them to my Photoshop or Illustrator 'canvas'? and make corrections and/or make multiple versions by changing or adding features from other photos, change the overall color or add new parts that I create using the software.

[Personal information removed by Moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you probably need to look to Autodesk, not Adobe.

I'm not really familiar with Autodesk's portfolio of applications. Perhaps someone else is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did take a look at Autodesk/Fusion360. It might be what I'm looking for technical accuracy AND the ability desgn AND render. But my question was pretty narrow Photoshop or Illustrator. I searched videos on Youtube and got my answers there. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look into Adobe Sketch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is best done with some proper 3D CAD software... I wouldn't use either Photoshop or Illustrator for this.

The best example that comes to mind would be Autodesk's programmes as somewhat suggested by D Fosse​.

E.g. AutoCAD...

However using a very quick google search here are some links and some sites that recommend the "best" CAD software of 2017:

Best Engineering CAD Software | 2017 Reviews of the Most Popular Systems

The Top Five Free CAD Packages

The Best CAD Software for 2017 | Top Ten Reviews

https://all3dp.com/best-3d-modeling-software/

CAD Software | 2D And 3D Computer-Aided Design | Autodesk

Hope this helps!

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also have a look at Adobe's Project Felix....

It may be that this gets you somewhat there.

Project Felix from Adobe | Download 3D design tool free trial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Free download trials are great but no one is going to figure how to navigate this in seven days unless you're on vacation with a coffe pot on standby. Seven days? Hahahahaa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I would kindly ask that in future you don't post personal information such as email addresses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still learning to navigate this #(*^& website let alone a  day trial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is the project of a long time. Subscriptions are good for this, but note that the less expensive ones commit you to pay for the whole year. Do NOT expect to be able to work out how to use tools like Illustrator or AutoCAD without training, they aren't make for learning by random clicks like Word. Budget for professional training.

One be comment on your plans:

converting your work to JPEG is about the worst thing you can do, especially for a print shop. JPEG is for photos, not technical drawings. Use PDF.

And finally: don't expect to find ONE app to rule them all. Pros have a toolkit and know how best to share work between them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said technically accurate. The information will not be used to drive a 3D printer or an automated 6-axis robotic application. Sorry if over emphasized that detail and accuracy was important. And no, I didn't expect to learn this quickly but most of the website is unnecessarily complicated when user-friendly is faster. What version of photoshop is the free download?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photoshop free trial is the latest, current, version.

To revisit one point: Please consider that JPEG is FOR PHOTOS. That's what the P stands for. I'm not talking about 3D printers, JPEG is a poor choice for anything other than photos, including text, drawings, and areas of white space. If your print shop won't take PDF, find another print shop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the information regarding using PDF vs JPEG that was helpful. What is the main difference between Photoshop and Illustrator? Can I disconnect Creative Cloud from Photoshop. I have no intention on ever using it. I want to generate crisp, tight illustrations from scratch. As I've seen various levels of renderings from videos posted by product users on youtube.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines