Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

16' x 3' printout

Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a very large collage 16' x 3' of family photos that span 25 years.  What would be the best program to use for this project and what constraints/concerns should I be aware of?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Photoshop can handle that if your machine has the resources required.  If you want to print it on roll paper 16' by 3' at 300dpi it will require a good machine and a 36" printer that can use roll paper.  The composite layer will be 622MP. The 57,600Px wide by 10,800Px high.  You are also limited to 8,000 layers If you have a thousand image to composite I would not expect Photoshop would be speedy.

If you not going to mask all the image to for your montage.  That is you just want to lay them out a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop can handle that if your machine has the resources required.  If you want to print it on roll paper 16' by 3' at 300dpi it will require a good machine and a 36" printer that can use roll paper.  The composite layer will be 622MP. The 57,600Px wide by 10,800Px high.  You are also limited to 8,000 layers If you have a thousand image to composite I would not expect Photoshop would be speedy.

If you not going to mask all the image to for your montage.  That is you just want to lay them out at some fixed size on the 16' x 3' roll. You could edit the image as separate images. Then use a Photoshop script to lay them out on the 16'x3' 300dpi canvas.  It would take Photoshop quite some time to resize and mask the image to the  size set. However you could drink wine while Photoshop cranks away.

A script like my PasteImageRoll whit is part of my Photoshop Photo Collage Toolkit.Paste Image Roll Script and Picture Package Support

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the photograph is to be viewed from a distance you can reduce the resolution considerably, say 100 to 50PPI. Experiment to see the optimal resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Derek said - the required resolution depends entirely on viewing distance - not the physical size of the poster. Our eyes can only resolve so much detail.

See this page for guidance to work out resolution vs viewing distance.

What print resolution works for what viewing distance?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The type of image they are creating 16'x3' a montage of their 25 year family history will most likely not be viewed from a distance to see the entire composition. It will more likely be view examined closer up to see how things have changer over the past 25 years  to remember moment in time. IMO you want good sharp details in that print.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJmack

I don't disagree with you. What is important is that the decision to use a resolution is a conscious one based on viewing distance (close or far) rather than a blanket one. Particularly important with large documents where any help with avoiding Photoshop grinding to a halt is useful.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes we agree on much...

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines