• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transparency and Bookmarks

New Here ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am struggling with exporting a book to PDF.

The book contains areas of text at 90% opacity in the Difference blend setting, and also has bookmarks linking to the various chapters.

With all the options I have tried, selecting anything other than compatibility with Acrobat 4 makes those areas of text transparent and unreadable when viewing the document in anything other than Acrobat (for example, opening the document with Google Chrome, or Mac's Preview). However, using compatibility with Acrobat 4 means the bookmarks do not export. 

I have tried many different export options, but in broad strokes, it seems like I can either have those areas of text display correctly (using compatibility with Acrobat 4), or have the bookmarks export (using compatibility with 5 and above). Obviously, I would like both. Is there a way I can do this?

If anyone can help with this, I would be very grateful; I am on the verge of keyboard-snapping frustration!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Hi,

maybe you can do both exports and "merge" the two files together in Acrobat Pro.

If I remember it right, you just have to open:

1. The export with the working bookmarks and:

2. Replace all pages with the ones from the other PDF where transparency is flattened.

The bookmarks should stay intact.
Did a quick test with Google Chrome browser and the Preview app on OSX.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried selecting the Acrobat PDF Preset PDF/X-4 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just gave that a go - the same issue occurs with the text appearing too transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just worked out an inelegant work-around:

1) export the book with compatibility for Acrobat 4

2) export the automatically generated Table of Contents document (which generates my bookamarks) with compatibility for Acrobat 5

3)inserting the ToC at the end of the PDF file

4) manually going through and relinking the bookmarks in the PDF

Far from perfect, so still looking for a solution, but I think my keyboard is safe for now at least...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

maybe you can do both exports and "merge" the two files together in Acrobat Pro.

If I remember it right, you just have to open:

1. The export with the working bookmarks and:

2. Replace all pages with the ones from the other PDF where transparency is flattened.

The bookmarks should stay intact.
Did a quick test with Google Chrome browser and the Preview app on OSX.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I think this is the way to go. I came up with a much less user-friendly version of this literally a minute before this reply came though, but your version is much less work, which is always a good thing. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines