Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom brightens screen but not Photoshop

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Just wondered if anybody has any idea why my screen would brighten when I enter Lightroom but the same does not happen with Photoshop?  I think that it may have started after the last Lightroom update.  I did notice quite frequent Lightroom crashes before the update, which is why I updated - I assumed that Windows had updated causing new incompatibilities?

I have calibrated my monitor with Spyder Elite 4.5.9.  I have a daylight and room lights setting that I switch using the Windows 10 advanced display settings. I last updated them in February.  My laptop uses Intel HD graphics 3000 and NVDIA GeForce GT 520M. I have turned off the GPU in Lightroom now and it makes no difference.

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Update: reinstalled Lightroom and it is now working fine.

Thanks again everyone,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that I have turned off adaptive brightness in the Windows power options.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Managed to answer my own question.  Updating the Intel graphics driver seems to have fixed it.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this evening it is happening again!?  I am now very confused.  Suggestions?

Cheers

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have calibrated my monitor with Spyder Elite 4.5.9.  I have a daylight and room lights setting that I switch using the Windows 10 advanced display settings."

When changing the display profile LR and PS must be closed and then reopened to load the newly selected profile.  If LR is opened and PS closed when you change the profile then you will see a difference since the profile used by LR is not being updated. Ditto if PS is open, but LR is closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good suggestion trshaner. I've even gone so far as restarting the laptop and it does not help.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have calibrated my monitor with Spyder Elite 4.5.9.  I have a daylight and room lights setting that I switch using the Windows 10 advanced display settings. I last updated them in February."

I believe the two underlined operations are conflicting and causing your issue. If you calibrate your monitor with the Spyder Elite then you should not use Windows advanced display manger to re-calibrate the display. What model display(s) are you using?

Recalibrate your display with the Spyder Elite and confirm the new calibration monitor profile is being assigned to the display in Windows Color Management panel. Do NOT use Windows 10 Advanced Display Manager! Now open LR and PS and see if they appear the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, when you calibrate/profile a display, the calibration and profile are valid only for the specific brightness and other settings of the display when calibrated/profiled.  You need to turn off all functions (e.g. adaptive brightness) that affect the display before calibration/profiling, and don't alter them again, or do anything that alters brightness, contrast, white point, tone curve or pretty much any aspect of the display, or the profile you've created is no longer valid.

It's always a bit problematic calibrating/profiling laptops as they tend to adapt the display for current conditions (sometimes even depending on the content).  This is what you want for most purposes so the screen isn't dim outside or retina-burning bright indoors, but makes colour-management tricky.  This is much less of a problem for desktops in fixed locations, as lighting conditions don't vary so much (and desktops don't generally mess with the display).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your input. I simply swap between my two Spyder generated profiles, one for daylight and one for evening when I am using room lights. This system has worked for several months before and after my last calibration in February.  I make a point of not using any other screen adjustments.  I definitely see a difference when I boot up because Windows starts in its default brighter and cooler colour profile before it realises after a little while that it should be in one of the Spyder ones.  As you can see in the two screenshots below, both 'daylight' and 'Sidelamp Only' are available from both 'Advanced display settings' and 'Colour Management' so I consider it unlikely that it matters which screen you choose them from.  I am surprised that nobody has mentioned corrupt colour profiles yet - but I have discounted that theory so far because I doubt that  both would go corrupt at the same time?  I have turned off the adaptive brightness as described above.  I do wonder if Dell has snuck in a bit of bloatware that might do the same, and that for some reason behaves differently for LR than PS, so I will look into that next.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, just to prove that I do take on feedback, I just tried setting the profile using Color Management and starting LR, and the screen brightness still changed.  But at least I noticed the American spelling of color this time

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now confirmed that the 'Sensor Monitoring Service' is turned off, as per this post:

brightness - How to disable auto brightening LCD - Super User

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two issue I can see in your reply #8. 1) The display profiles being used are "generic" Windows generated profiles for the 2) Intel HD 3000 GPU. This is neither a Spyder generated profile or a profile for your primary NVDIA GeForce GT 520M GPU, which is what LR is probably using.

In Windows Color Management if you click on the down arrow in the 'Device' selector is the NVDIA GeForce GT 520M adapter showing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see where you are coming from trshaner, here is what I have found.

1) Apparently ICC and ICM files are pretty much the same apart from the suffix.  Here are two authoritative references:

ICC vs. ICM - Pantone.com  

ICC Frequently asked questions

But hey, maybe LR does not recognise ICM anymore, so I tried changing the suffix as Pantone say will probably work.  Then I tried making a new colour profile with my Spyder and found that I actually did not have the option of saving as ICC rather than ICM, but I saved and tested it anyway.

2) The NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M adapter does not show on the 'Device' selector, only the Intel HD Graphics 3000 (ignoring various printers that are on the list).  Also, one of the first tests that I reported was turning off using the GPU in Lightroom - but of course that does not prove that the GPU is not still being used.  But, if LR was using it, surely PS would too?

So, in summary, good suggestions but I'm sorry to say no solution yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for any confusion. I never mentioned anything about icc/icm profile types, but yes the Windows Color Management created profiles (daylight, sidelamp) are probably incompatible with LR. These are not your Spyder created calibration profiles, which is what you want to use.

Let's try to resolve this issue. Inside LR go to Help> System Info and scroll down to  below section.

Graphics Processor Info:

Quadro 600/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 377.11

Renderer: Quadro 600/PCIe/SSE2

LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Next from inside PS go to Help> System Info and scroll down to  below section.

NumGLGPUs=1

NumCLGPUs=1

NumNativeGPUs=0

glgpu[0].GLVersion="4.1"

glgpu[0].IsIntegratedGLGPU=0

glgpu[0].GLMemoryMB=1024

glgpu[0].GLName="NVIDIA Quadro 600"

glgpu[0].GLVendor="NVIDIA Corporation"

glgpu[0].GLVendorID=4318

glgpu[0].GLDriverVersion="21.21.13.7711"

glgpu[0].GLRectTextureSize=16384

glgpu[0].GLRenderer="Quadro 600/PCIe/SSE2"

glgpu[0].GLRendererID=3576

glgpu[0].HasGLNPOTSupport=1

glgpu[0].GLDriver="nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um"

glgpu[0].GLDriverDate="20170317000000.000000-000"

If you aren't seeing the Nvida GeForce GT 520M GPU listed for both LR and PS you'll need to make changes to the Nvidia control panel as explained in the video here:

“How-To”…Switch Between Intel Graphics and NVIDIA with Optimus | UC Davis Bookstore TechTalk

You should now be able to assign your Spyder calibration profile to the Nvida GeForce GT 520M GPU using Windows Color Management. STOP - DO NOT MAKE ANY OTHER CHANGES! Close both PS and LR and then open each again and see if the displays look the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems that there continues to be some misunderstanding so I will try explaining the Windows/Spyder colour profile situation another way.  Apologies for spelling it out so explicity but we do seem to be stuck on it. 

Maybe the confusion is because I initially said that I had calibrated my monitor with Spyder, and then mentioned Windows Colour Management. Maybe monitor calibration can be a separate process to creating a Colour Profile, but I think that I just returned all the display settings to default in Windows when I got my Spyder and have left them there.  Creating a Spyder colour profile was what I was referring to when I said I had calibrated my monitor.

I have not altered or saved any Windows display settings since I began to use a Sypder.  Nor any display settings on my laptop in the way that you are often able to with other types of display using buttons around the edge of the screen, my laptop does not have such buttons.  I certainly have not saved anything from a Windows display dialogue called Daylight or Sidelamp Only etc. At the moment I don't even know how you would save such a setup to be able to switch between them. I will admit that as an experiment I did use Windows Explorer to create copies of my named colour profile files with different suffixes, and then used Windows Color Management to add them to the list of available profiles.  Are you saying that adding a profile in this way makes it a Windows created colour profile, irrespective of its source?

I have calibrated my display using my Spyder, using the Spyder software, in daylight conditions and saved that from within the Spyder software with the name of Daylight.  I have also calibrated my display with my Spyder, using Spyder software, during nighttime under artificial lighting, calling that saved profile within Sypder software SideLamp Only,  I have had a look and do not appear to have any options to switch between these named Spyder created colour profiles from within the Spyder Software.  To my current knowledge, the only option is switching between them using the Windows Color Management dialogues that we have discussed so far.  When I recently created a Spyder colour profile called Mainlight, the Spyder Software took care of adding it to the Windows Color Management list.

If you still believe that Daylight and Sidelamp Only are Windows Color Management created profiles, and not Spyder generated, then can you please explain your reasoning?  And how else should I access and utilise my Spyder created profiles?  This is meant in a constructive way to gain understanding, but I guess I am letting some of my frustration show as well.

Lightroom:

Graphics Processor Info:
GeForce GT 520M/PCIe/SSE2

Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 381.65
Renderer: GeForce GT 520M/PCIe/SSE2

Capture3.PNG

I have previously tried with 'Use Graphics Processor' switched on and off.

Photoshop:

NumGLGPUs=1

NumCLGPUs=1

glgpu[0].GLVersion="3.0"

glgpu[0].IsIntegratedGLGPU=1

glgpu[0].GLMemoryMB=2076

glgpu[0].GLName="Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000"

glgpu[0].GLVendor="Intel"

glgpu[0].GLVendorID=32902

glgpu[0].GLDriverVersion="9.17.10.4459"

glgpu[0].GLRectTextureSize=8192

glgpu[0].GLRenderer="Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000"

glgpu[0].GLRendererID=294

glgpu[0].HasGLNPOTSupport=1

glgpu[0].GLDriver="igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumd32,igd10umd32,igd10umd32"

glgpu[0].GLDriverDate="20160519000000.000000-000"

glgpu[0].CanCompileProgramGLSL=1

glgpu[0].GLFrameBufferOK=1

glgpu[0].glGetString[GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION]="1.30 - Intel Build 9.17.10.4459"

glgpu[0].glGetProgramivARB[GL_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM_ARB][GL_MAX_PROGRAM_INSTRUCTIONS_ARB]=[1447]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS]=[8]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS]=[16]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VERTEX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS]=[16]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS]=[16]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_DRAW_BUFFERS]=[8]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS]=[512]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_FRAGMENT_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS]=[1024]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VARYING_FLOATS]=[41]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VERTEX_ATTRIBS]=[16]

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_VERTEX_PROGRAM]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_VERTEX_SHADER]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_FRAGMENT_SHADER]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_EXT_FRAMEBUFFER_OBJECT]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_TEXTURE_FLOAT]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_OCCLUSION_QUERY]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_VERTEX_BUFFER_OBJECT]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_SHADER_TEXTURE_LOD]=0

clgpu[0].CLPlatformVersion="1.2"

clgpu[0].CLDeviceVersion="1.1 CUDA"

clgpu[0].IsIntegratedCLGPU=0

clgpu[0].CLMemoryMB=1024

clgpu[0].CLName="GeForce GT 520M"

clgpu[0].CLVendor="NVIDIA Corporation"

clgpu[0].CLVendorID=4318

clgpu[0].CLDriverVersion="381.65"

clgpu[0].CUDASupported=1

clgpu[0].CUDAVersion="8.0.0"

clgpu[0].CLBandwidth=1.16053e+010

clgpu[0].CLCompute=40.5598

Capture4.PNG

Not played with PS Use Graphics Processor yet.

Thank you for the video link. Not sure of the relevance of the various changes that are described.  Possibly the option of adding a 'run with GPU' option on the right click context menu, but your goal for this test is to enable me to select a color profile for the NVIDIA GPU rather than force LR to use NVIDIA.  So, I have looked at the NVIDIA Control Panel shown in the video and found that I can globally make NVIDIA the default GPU.  The NVIDIA has not appeared in the Windows Color Management list so I will post this and reboot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarted the laptop and NVIDIA still is not in the Windows Color Management list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm out of ideas and suggest you contact the laptop manufacturer to:

1) See if there may be an issue with your laptop that requires a firmware or an OEM graphics driver update (only available from them).

2) If no updates are available ask for instructions on setting the laptop to use the Nvidia GPU (not Intel) with LR and PS. This should allow you to calibrate the monitor using the preferred Nvida GPU with your Spyder created display profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect this is just hard-wired laptop behavior, designed to "help" you. You think you've turned it off, but then it just turns itself back on, because it's designed to be really helpful. This is why I don't work with laptops. I did once take a Sony Vaio on the road, and it did this too. I could never figure it out.

My best advice is to skip the two profile policy, usually that's more visual and cognitive confusion than any real help. Try to keep room lighting as consistent as possible instead. Turn on the room lighting after dark, shield as much as possible during the day.

Yes, I know this is a laptop that is supposed to be hauled around, but that's the price you pay.

You can do this (several profiles for changing conditions) with a high-end hardware calibrated desktop monitor such as an Eizo or NEC, but once you start loading calibration tables into the video card it gets messy and unworkable. And on a laptop with dual video cards - forget it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree, unfortunately something else is causing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if brightness is knocked down in the Spyder software, as part of the calibration? You shouldn't do that, of course, as it eats up bit depth in the video signal. But you can.

Then it would be loaded into the video card along with the rest of the calibration parameters. Only - which video card?

I think there are just too many variables in this whole equation. But to really break it down, the calibration tables, as loaded into the video pipeline, seems to be where things get out of control. Not the profiles as such (the profiles don't do anything).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the puzzle @D Fosse, thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bit of a puzzle.

Latest System Info

LR

Graphics Processor Info:

PS

glgpu[0].GLVendor="NVIDIA Corporation"

glgpu[0].GLDriverVersion="?"

glgpu[0].GLRectTextureSize=16384

glgpu[0].GLRenderer="GeForce GT 520M/PCIe/SSE2"

System Info in Reply #14

Lightroom:

Graphics Processor Info:

Photoshop

glgpu[0].GLVendor="Intel"

glgpu[0].GLDriverVersion="9.17.10.4459"

glgpu[0].GLRectTextureSize=8192

glgpu[0].GLRenderer="Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000"

Both LR and PS are now using the GeForce GT 520M GPU, but Windows Color Management is only allowing you to assign display profiles to the Intel HD Graphics 3000 integrated GPU. In your reply #14 LR is using the GeForce GT 520M and Photoshop is using the Intel HD Graphics 3000 integrated GPU. This may explain why PS and LR previously had different brightness levels, but what about now? Are you still seeing different brightness levels with both LR and PS using the GeForce GT 520M?

I suggest contacting the laptop manufacturer and/or Datacolor to find a workaround. You need a solution for calibrating and assigning the display profile in Windows System Color Management with the preferred GeForce GT 520M GPU used by LR and PS. What exact laptop model are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR still has a different brightness level to PS and the rest of Windows e.g. Picasa, Edge, Desktop etc.  Only LR has the bright and cool appearance, everything else looks like it has been calibrated. Correction edit: actually, everything appears to have the same warm colour temperature, it is just the brightness/contrast that changes with LR.

I have a Dell XPS 14z laptop.

Do you think it is worth asking Adobe if anything has changed within LR that might cause this problem?  I guess they don't monitor these forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner  wrote

Windows Color Management is only allowing you to assign display profiles to the Intel HD Graphics 3000 integrated GPU

I think we need to keep apples from oranges here.

The profile isn't assigned to any video card. It's loaded by the application. The application converts to the monitor color space and sends the data on their way.

The calibration tables - which is not the same thing as the profile! - are assigned to the video card. And here it matters which one. Loading video card LUTs is the business of the operating system. The application is entirely unaware of video card LUTs, in other words, calibration is not part of the color management chain.

---

However, there is one complicating factor: OpenGL. When this is enabled, the application outsources the display profile conversion to the video card. So that again brings up the question: which one?

Maybe it's already covered, but did the OP try to disable OpenGL entirely in both applications?

All in all, this dual video card thing is a mess waiting to happen. This is why Adobe warns against it. Add to the mix two different profiles, each with a corresponding calibration that needs to be loaded by the OS...I don't think it's any mystery why it fails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for explaining the technicalities @D Fosse.  To be honest it is still over my head because the Spyder software speaks of calibration and then offers to save a profile, which then appears in the Windows Colour management dialogues rather than within an application (unless you count soft proofing).  Maybe in future I should refer to Spyder profile creation rather than calibration.  I have  become confused over whether these profiles are Spyder created or somehow Windows created.

One thing that may be of interest is that the Spyder software causes the screen to brighten as well.

I have not tried turning off OpenGL yet.

To do a test that brings everything down to its simplest level, how about I do all that I can to turn off the NVIDIA GPU rather than trying to force the system to use it.  Also turn off any ambient light adaption that I can find.  And finally turn off OpenGL.  Having a fairly old computer, low end GPUs and a small screen, my preference would be to use the integrated Intel GPU anyway: https://petapixel.com/2015/05/08/why-your-lightroom-cc-may-actually-be-slower-with-the-new-gpu-accel...    GPU notes for Lightroom CC (2015)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines