• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I print greyed-out pictures in white?

May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

As part of my work I get sent exported PDFs created using InDesign. I should point out that I do not have InDesign myself so I'll have to pass any answers here on to my colleagues.

I am currently working on a book and the pictures have not been approved yet (or are confidential). In the PDF I then get a grey box with a black cross running through it as a placeholder.

Problem is now that this eats up the black ink in my printer at an alarming rate (even with the quality right down). The book is about 200 pages and there are LOTS of grey areas in it.

So my question is, is it possible to have a white background to the pictures instead of grey?

Many thanks in advance

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Go to Tools > Content > Edit Object...

Click a gray-filled frame to select it, then either tap the Delete key or right-click and choose Delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt you can solve this problem with a print setting. Other options:

• The person who is exporting the PDF from their InDesign layout is using a gray-filled frame as their image placeholder (it's not a 'grayed-out image'); can you ask them to leave the placeholders unfilled?
  • What are you using to view and print the PDF? If you have, or can get, Acrobat Pro, it will enable you to delete or replace those placeholders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John, thanks for your answer.

1. I'm sure if I ask them they will have no problem with it. How do you go about doing this?

2. I use Acrobat Pro X. I can delete pages (which helps) but was not aware of the possibility of deleting elements in the PDF. Do let me know if this is not too much trouble.

Many thanks.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go to Tools > Content > Edit Object...

Click a gray-filled frame to select it, then either tap the Delete key or right-click and choose Delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines