Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't get Walk Cycle to work

Participant ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a bird that I am trying to get to walk.  But it won't walk:)

I think the problem is the way I structured the "folders"in the body.  But try as I might I can't get it to work.

I have looked at the Walkbot puppet, and I wish there was a way to download the associated ai file -- that would really help.

I will try to upload both files here, but I have a feeling the form software won't all ai and puppet uploads -- or zips.  So if I can't upload it directly to the forum I'll set it up on dropbox if I can.

UPDATE:  Here's the public link to my dropbox folder with both the ai files and the character files:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vul6vyrjzb13c9a/AABODr-T6VGud4Yu1PgJfPjca?dl=0

In the meantime does anyone have an actual ai file for walkbot.puppet?

Best,

Rowby

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The walkbot.puppet in my start folder is based on walkbot.psd. You should be able to find the location locally by selecting walkbot.puppet in the project panel and then see the highlighted address in the properties panel under puppet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah!  Thanks.  I'll dig through it.

In the meantime, if anyone can visit my dropbox and help me figure out why my Toucan bird refuses to walk -- I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rowby,

The Walk behavior wasn't applied.

It's probably best to staple the legs to the body (with Hinge attach style), and to set a Hip handle.

Also, I had to set Step Speed to -100% to get the character to walk to the left. The behavior tries to automatically detect the orientation, but at the default 100% it's opposite of how the toucan is facing, hence the -100%.

The Face behavior needs to be disabled to avoid unwanted distortion. Also, there seems to be some issues with the mesh that are causing some gaps to appear. We'll look into it.

Here's a .puppet file with my changes so far:

Adobe Creative Cloud https://adobe.ly/2oKdoIX

We'll follow-up as we can find workarounds to the remaining issues.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff!

Disabling the face behavior is no problem.  I tried stapling the legs to the body, but that didn't help. I guess I"ll have to look at some more tutorials.

I can see how simple yet feature rich Character is -- I just need to get my head wrapped around it a little more.  And I very much appreciate your help!

Here's a screencast of where I am so far. And any workaround will be appreciated.

https://www.screencast.com/t/Gk6BKoxr

Thanks

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The puppet I provided should've already had each leg stapled to the torso. Just disable the Face behavior (eyeball for the Face behavior in the Properties panel) and it should be better.

If you're starting from your artwork, how you stapled for that one leg is correct -- staple that leg group at the location where it should pivot from the body of the toucan. Set the Attach Style for the leg group to Hinge so that the leg pivots. Do similar for the other leg group.

As for the seams that are showing, this is due to the adjacent edges in the artwork between that part of the head and body, and body and tail. Just create a bit more overlap between those pairs of shapes to avoid those seams.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

Getting there.  My little Toucan is walking funny (which I like)

Having a problem with the head.  The orientation is reversed. Not sure where step speed might be for the head, so I don't see where to "reverse" it in the rigging.

Here's a video screen capture of my cute little toucan so far   https://www.screencast.com/t/Whg2ylXdZXwO

Thanks,

RowbyZZZZZ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rowby,

I couldn't tell in the screencast, but this might be the unintended warping that I mentioned before. If you select the puppet track in the Timeline panel, then disable the Face behavior in the Properties panel (i.e., turn off its eyeball), is it correct? If so, we're still looking into this to see if there's a solution for that.

If this is not the case, can you export a .puppet file for your current puppet, and I can try to see what might be going on.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

Disabling face behavior fixed the issue.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRBKedcbk

Interestingly I tried completely recreating the head and body in illustrator but that did not "fix" the issue.  The new head sill was reversed.

I'm okay with what I have now. But if you want the illustrator and puppet file to troubleshoot for debugging issues, I'll be happy to zip them up and send them to you.

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rowby,

Glad you got something that works for now. I would still like to be able to have the Face behavior enabled, so can you please send a .puppet file of your latest version so that we can investigate a possible workaround.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff

I will be having the Toucan do some other things, so yes getting Face Behavior to work will be good.   Here a link to Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vul6vyrjzb13c9a/AABODr-T6VGud4Yu1PgJfPjca?dl=0

Thanks

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

i created a new Toucan and now it seems to be working okay.   So I must have had a "glitch" in my originsl illustrator file.   For example my new toucanis orrientation is now automatically detected

ill be animating him over the next couple of days -- should be working fine.  But will let typos know if I have any issues Or questions.

Btw i a, following the excellent Okay Samurai Tutorials on YouTube.

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rowby. I'll check out the artwork file to see what might be going on, but glad you have a working version. Hope the rest goes smoothly.

Yeah, Dave's tutorial videos are great. Glad they've been helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Using my fresh new Toucan

Everything seemed okay (eye behavior etc) until I added walk behavior

I don't know if it's because of my overall head and body -- but my little toucan is quite a mess now.

Attaching the latest puppet.  Maybe I have his waist or hip off.  But even my bird's tail iand wing s not behaving correctly (dangle) 

Here's the link to the AI and puppet file.  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uxdb4dp56djjkau/AAABHj7h3JKjQkXqpMmMuI6fa?dl=0

Any guidance you can give will be appreciated. (Perhaps I should have started with a character other than a bird  

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rowby,

The legs didn't use Hinge attach style, and I replaced/moved some handles (e.g., removed the knee handles). I still had to dial Walk Strength down a bit, otherwise the legs would stretch, which seems unexpected, but I'll need to diagnose more why that's happening. Also, I added a separate Dangle behavior for the wing so it can have a different gravity direction than the tail.

See if this is any better:

https://adobe.ly/2qrwhCF

The tail is still detached a bit, but maybe the artwork can overlap more to hide that.

That's all I can do today. Hope this gets you further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because of its asymmetry, your fun toucan has revealed an interesting bug: if the origin at the top-level of the puppet isn't near the hip, Walk will stretch the legs. Luckily the workaround is easy: in the puppet panel with the top-level selected, move the origin point from the center of the puppet to about where the hip is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Will do!    Thanks.   I appreciate all this help On the Forum.

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rowby,

Here's a version with the top-level origin moved closer to the Hip handle. I also cleaned up a stray Dangle handle, and stapled the tail a little better so that there's less of a gap.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ho Jeff,

This is great. A couple of questions

I don't want to lose what you have done. So as I start modifying the behaviors (adjusting the tail, etc,) is there a way to save the settings as I work on them.  Like  "Save As"

1)  Jeff's version - Rowby works on tail

2)  Jeff's version - Rowby worked on tail, Now Rowby works on Wing.

So I can always go back to earlier completed versions. Or is basically the way to do that is to export the puppet with the name annotated such as 1) and 2) above.

I know there is history, but various versions of the puppet with different capabilities as "Save as" would be "good".  But certainly just an export with informative title would work too....

Just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rowby,

As you mention, we have a History, but snapshots (like in Photoshop's History panel?) or a revised Save As that would do similar would be a feature request. I can add your name to that request.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that would be a good feature request.  Please add my name to that.

Thanks
Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> Or is basically the way to do that is to export the puppet with the name annotated such as 1) and 2) above.

Yes, that's correct. You can then import that puppet back in at any time. Note that a new copy of the artwork will also be added to the Ch Media folder when you import, so that changes don't affect other imported versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines