Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placed images display as streaky and glitchy

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have an issue with image previews in my layouts once they are placed. This doesn't happen automatically but more when I scroll through pages and return to a layout. If I move an image and then undo the move it will correct itself. This doesn't happen to all images all the time. Very unpredictable and disruptive to work flow.

ThanksScreen Shot 2017-05-01 at 3.49.36 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Hi,

Turn GPU off from preferences as.

Picture1 (1).png

The above shown in red will be "ON" if you have a compatible GPU. Turn it off by un-checking the checkbox.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What version of OS and InDesign are you on?

Does your system has inDesign compatible GPU?

If yes,can you try if this works: choose View > Preview on CPU (shortcut is Shift-E) this toggles between GPU and CPU view options.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar issue - I place pictures all the time, for some reason, this time the images are distorted or look like static/white noise. I am not sure why that is. I received the pictures as jpgs from my client. I have attached a screen shot of how the picture looks placed in Adobe Illustrator (top) and the original picture (bottom).

I am using a MacBook Pro with the Sierra Operating System

I am not sure if it is "compatible GPU". What is GPU?

Screenshot 2017-05-01 10.37.22.png Screenshot 2017-05-01 10.37.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The graphics processor is a separate chip which can be turned on to provide faster rendering of images. This is a new feature in InDesign, and it has some bugs. You can turn it off by going to Preferences > GPU Preferences and turning it off if it's available on your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have a GPU Performance tab.

Screenshot 2017-05-01 12.54.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Turn GPU off from preferences as.

Picture1 (1).png

The above shown in red will be "ON" if you have a compatible GPU. Turn it off by un-checking the checkbox.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

This seams to have worked.

The document I am working in is quite large as it is ideas concept development before dividing into a book with multiple documents.

Another trick I have found is when wanting to browse through the entire document quickly to brainstorm order / content / sections etc it best to just to turn display performance to Typical hence taking strain off the CPU, memory, etc.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably one of the smallest documents I have worked on and this has never happen to me before. I always keep it in "Typical" display performance. The other strange thing is that now after I place images that do look fine, when I scroll back through the pages, some of them show up static-like. This has never happened before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robin

You're issue seams to be different to what I have been experiencing.

I haven't seen that before but does look like some sort of compatibility issue.

All I could say is troubleshoot any changes you may have made in your setup since it started happening?

My cynical mind does subscribe to the theory of intentional hardware obsolescence through software updates:)

Good luck.

Nigel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nigel for your help. I will try a few things to figure it out. I may have too many files open at once slowing me down and using up a lot of memory. I'll try simply closing out and going back in to see how that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amaarora,

I have exact the same problem as Nigel, but when I turn the GPU off, the document is very slow in scrolling and zooming.. And the problem is still there..

Schermafbeelding 2017-09-20 om 20.07.43.png

I already found out that the display problem is gone when I turn the display preferences back to Typical instead of High Quality. (sorry I am using the dutch version of Indesign)

instelling inDesign.jpg

But I want to use High Quality display AND the GPU...

Last week I was talking to someone of Adobe itself, and he said it is possible but it is a problem of the computer. While Apple is telling me it is a problem of Indesign...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

robinm7343198, did you ever figure this out?  I've run into this problem for the second time now and haven't made any headway.  I'm running into it in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask in the Illustrator forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm so sorry, I do not remember how I got it working, but I know that it didn't have anything to do with the GPU or graphics card. I believe it was the actual picture file. Try opening the picture in Photoshop and re-saving it as a jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines