• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing .vpe from Photoshop into AE camera not lined up and null/anchor point to far

Engaged ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my step I've taken....

I bring in an image into photoshop and select filter, and vanishing point.

I then creating my vanishing points and export as .vpe file for after effects.

I go into after effect and import .vpe file.

The file import and I open the composition it created me.

attached is what I see... (I've circled in yellow where the null is located. You'll see where the images are anchored to it and see how far away they are. Also you'll see how the "Active Camera" is not lined up after import either. Its actually upside down.)

The null/anchor point is too far away so if I were to try and adjust it, one small hairline move throws everything in some crazy direction way to much!

I'm using After Effect 2015.3

Please help! Thank you!

null.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe gave up on using Photoshop in conjunction with 3D a looooong time ago.  They could never get it to work properly.

I'm surprised you're trying to use it.

Heck, I'm even more surprised that you remember it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, they taught this to us when I was in College 8 years ago lol. I thought it was a great tool! Made some cool sets including some video copilot plugins. Thats to bad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know they stopped supporting it? Where do you find out that information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What, you want me to remember that?  Suffice it to say, it was a little bit less than a loooong time ago.

I think it lasted something like one version, after which Adobe said, "this wasn't our greatest idea."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave is probably referring to "Live Photoshop 3D" that was discontinued in CS6. this is unrelated to your question and a different feature. this should work if you do it right. try this article: https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/simulating-depth-using-vanishing-points-in-after-effects/

first see if you can do this with the supplied image, only then try on your own with your own image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank Roei,

I tried these exact steps and my images that get generated are not even on the stage. They are so far away from the null it's impossible to adjust it. The video at the end of the article you gave me, that guy after he imports the .vpe file, all he has to do it slightly rotate his scene in place. Where I have to go for an adventure searching for my lost scene in space! lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's one of these type of workflow that the smallest thing could throw it off completely.

tell you what, I'll make a deal with you. try with the exact same image as the tutorial, follow the exact steps as he does so you will do it with him exactly 1:1. if this works for you, then try with your image and start again with what you have learned. if it doesn't work, come back here and bring your image and I'll have a crack at it and explain how it's done or why it does not work. good enough?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol deal....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry it took me so long. Go busy at the end of the day at work along with the weekend....

I think there is a bug in either After Effects or Photoshop. The position of the null is so faraway it's pretty much lost. I don't think this is posable to do?! I copied every little detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it didn't even work with the example photo in the tutorial?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

I ended up following the original video we had used when in school.

Picture:

https://kerioke.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/d7k_7182_3_4_5_6_7_tonemapped.jpg

Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJJ3aMgx_jc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you expected it to work? lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works as expected:

123.gif

here's the project folder:

VPE - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang, why is it working for you and not me?!

I see it working in the project file, but it doesn't really help me in how to fix my issue. And its not like I'm always going to be making hallway scenes lol.

Maybe I need to re-install my After Effects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is all in the right workflow of vp in photoshop. you have to place your points carefully. where is the photo you want to make 3d from? send it here, I will break it down step by step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christ-Fowel,

Are you still facing this problem? If not, let us know how you solved it. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not able to figure this out at the end.

I basically had to go on an adventure through empty 2D space of After Effects searching for Null to find my Objects it is parented to. Eventually I got them close enough I could properly adjust the camera for my scene.

That is how I solved it. Probably wont use this feature again unless I hear its working again or I somehow have to use it and then I'll be on another adventure! Gah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I basically had to go on an adventure through empty 2D space of After Effects searching for Null to find my Objects it is parented to. Eventually I got them close enough I could properly adjust the camera for my scene.

How did you did that???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines