• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Presets panel is covering up History Panel & user presets no longer working

New Here ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PC and am using Lightroom 5.  I don't know what happened, but the last time I was using Lightroom, I noticed that my history panel had all of the sudden gone missing.  After some detective work, I found that the history panel was open, but for some reason, my presets panel is now covering up every other panel on the left hand side (history, snapshots & collections).  The history panel used to show up beneath my presets panel, but now my presets panel covers it up over the top (unless my history is really long, then sometimes I can see it poking out underneath my presets panel), and I can only view the history when I close the collapse the presets panel.  I can't find any way to drag it back down below when my presets panel is open or anything and haven't been able to find any solutions online. 

At the same time that that happened, all of the sudden none of the user presets that I have made are working.  This is a really weird combination of errors to me, but there you have it.  All of my purchased presets seem to be working fine, but the ones that I have custom made (or even ones that I purchased but re-named in order to re-arrange them) are not working anymore.  These are some of the presets that I use most often, so this is an issue for me.

I have tried closing and reopening Lightroom and re-booting my computer, as well as trying to drag panels, all to no avail.  Does anyone have any idea what might be causing these issues?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Reboot your system and test.

Reset the LR Preference file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot?

Is the scrollbar missing?

You can Command or Control click on a panel header to close all the panels.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screen shot.  Yes, it has the slider on the left, and yes, I can collapse all of the tabs, but I would like to be able to view my history easily without having to collapse my presets panel every time (which hasn't been a problem until now because in the past, if I expanded a panel, it simply pushed down the rest of the panels so that I could still see them below, instead of covering them up so that I can't access them without collapsing other panels, like it is now.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shown in this shot is the bottom of my presets panel, with no other panels showing below it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you look at the scroll bar it is all the way near the bottom. Scroll up to reveal the other sections. If some aren't showing right click any of the other headings and select the ones you want displayed. They will have a check mark next to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I scroll to the top, the only panel and heading that is visible is Presets, even though when I right click on it to choose which ones I want to see, all panels are all already selected.  It's just that for some reason it is putting the presets panel on top of the other panels while they are open, so I have to collapse my presets panel in order to see the other panels, even though they are open.  Does that make sense?  I'm not great at explaining myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scroll all the way to the top and post a screen shot of that. Could be you are in Solo mode and the other sections are collapsing when the preset panel is expanded.

Actually the Presets section is at the top of all other sections.

Develop Side panel.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is what it looks like at the top.  The only thing that shows is the Presets panel unless I collapse it and then it will show the other panel titles.  It used to show my history and the other panels a the bottom below my presets if I just scrolled down (where I showed on my first screen shot), but all of the sudden it doesn't do that anymore, and now I have to collapse presets to be able to see the other panel headings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what's happening here, but you seem to be running out of vertical space. First of all, maximize the program, so that it fills the screen, this will give you more vertical space.

Then press F5 to hide the module picker and F6 to hide the filmstrip, which will give you even more space.

Furthermore, you can press Shift+F once or twice to hide the program's title bar / menu bar.

Does that help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no.  There is still blank space below the final option in my preset panel, so there is enough room as seen here:

But there is just nothing there.  I tried what you suggested but it didn't resolve the issue.  Thank you for the suggestion, though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reboot your system and test.

Reset the LR Preference file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will resetting my LR preference file delete any of my presets or my export settings or anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't delete presets, but it will remove any internal settings such as zoomed locations on photos, recent folders, etc.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will reset all the preferences you have selected in that dialog but should have an affect on your presets or export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YEEEESSSSS!  This worked!  It resolved both the panel problem and the user presets problem.  Thank you so much for all of your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt click on a panel head to turn on Solo mode. You can also right click on a panel header and choose it. There's no way to reduce the size of what's in a panel though.

Solo mode allows one open panel at a time, so clicking on another panel opens that one and closes the previous one.

You only need to set it once, then clicks are normal clicks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your ideas--thanks for taking time to help.  So yeah, it is basically acting like it is in solo mode even though I never put it into solo mode, and that is my problem.  I want to be able to keep whatever panels I want open and visible, one below the other like it is supposed to.  I am not trying to reduce the size of what is in each panel, rather I am trying to just get the other panel headings to show at the bottom of whatever panel I am currently looking at so that I can just scroll down and see them without having to collapse any of the panels.  I should be able to scroll down and see the other three headings (snapshots, history & collections) at the bottom of my presets panel, but it won't do that anymore.  I tried putting it into solo mode and then putting it back, but it still acts like it is in solo mode.

Also, any ideas on why my user presets are suddenly not working?  It's like something flipped a switch and all of the sudden the panels are messed up and none of my customized user presets will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reboot your computer and test.

Also what OS are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10.  But I have been using that for awhile now, and I haven't had a single problem until this just suddenly happened the other day.  I did try rebooting my computer, but unfortunately it didn't change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines