• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paragraph Shading above Paragraph Styles?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I'm working on a document and was hoping for some advice on paragraph styling.

I have a paragraph style which I'm having trouble recreating. I want centered heading text, with a single stroke on either side of this text that extends to the width of the frame, but doesn't cover the text itself.

Currently I've tried to accomplish this by creating a paragraph rule that has a rule above which is offset 2.5mm (so that it falls in line with the x-height of the heading typeface) and then added a [Paper] paragraph shading so try and "block out" the part where the text is set (set to width: text + 2mm offet either side)

The issue being that the paragraph style rule always sits on top of the shading. Are there any other ways I could accomplish this look, or is it possible to reorder my shading rule to sit above the style?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.39.11.png

If no background color, 2 para rules [automatic way]:

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.41.11.png

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.41.20.png

… But, if background color, it's more funny!

2 grep styles and a simple regex [all replace]:

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.42.14.png

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.44.03.png

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.44.29.png

The "Z" char style used is just:

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.49.49.png

There's a third way, reserved to Jedis: by "live" script, 2 para rules whose length is calculated depending on the length of the text:

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.53.51.png

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.57.06.png

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.57.16.png

[+ 2 other ways more exotic! Just for comment! ]

(^/) 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2017 have shading feature in paragraph style itself..

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 2.36.34 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies--to clarify, I'm aware that paragraph shading is an option with paragraph styling; my issue is that I was hoping I could use the shading to (in effect) mask part of the paragraph rule that I've set. I'll attach some visual cues here and to my original question.

My paragraph style looks like this:
Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 6.45.52 pm.png

which yields this result:
Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 6.46.46 pm.png

but I was hoping that it would instead look like this:
Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 6.48.19 pm.png

Thanks again for all your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I guess creating a character style specifically for the line around heading should work.

Below are the steps.

1. Create a character style and enable underline in it as a sample you can set this

2. Type your heading and add some spaces to either side. Apply the above created character style to these spaces. You can then get some thing like...

However aligning the heading centrally in this case can be somewhat tricky!.

Another option can be to create two different lines and then arrange them to either side of your heading, after center aligning your heading. This way you can also group them with your text frame so that they remain stick to it and move together

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aman,

if it is ok to use swatch [Paper] for the underline:

One can do it easily with a combination of underline set to a thick [Paper] bar for text only.

In combination with paragraph shading for the whole paragraph for the visible black line right and left of the text. If justification of the paragraph is set to center you'll have no problems with different text frame widths or text column widths.

Underline will obscure paragraph shading.

But it will be a problem, if the headline contains more than one line of text.
Then all the single lines of text should be kept in their own paragraphs.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Play it simply with para rules! 

Capture d’écran 2017-05-01 à 15.23.35.png

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks great (and exactly what I'm after) could you please explain how you came to it? I'm not familiar with those blue indent notations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.39.11.png

If no background color, 2 para rules [automatic way]:

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.41.11.png

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.41.20.png

… But, if background color, it's more funny!

2 grep styles and a simple regex [all replace]:

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.42.14.png

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.44.03.png

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.44.29.png

The "Z" char style used is just:

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.49.49.png

There's a third way, reserved to Jedis: by "live" script, 2 para rules whose length is calculated depending on the length of the text:

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.53.51.png

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.57.06.png

Capture d’écran 2017-05-02 à 02.57.16.png

[+ 2 other ways more exotic! Just for comment! ]

(^/) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the method I'm currently using and so far so good--I guess another drawback would be if I were to change the background to anything other than a solid colour--still, thank you so much for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Andrea,

When I have time, I enjoy keystroking Obi-Wan's various solutions to figure out how he works his magic. I love his answer and would not have come up with it myself. If the French dialog boxes throw you off, here are US English dialog boxes, along with my notes.

Add a Rule Above that is the width of the Column, and use the Offset to center it over the text. Mine is pink, but it can be any color.

InDesign CCss_005.png

Then add a Rule Below that is the Width of the Text. Mine is yellow for now so that you can see it. Make it thicker than the rule above, give yourself a left and right indent, and use a negative offset to move it up so that you can no longer see the rule above. Instead of shading as per your original question, this uses the Rule Below to mask the Rule Above.
InDesign CCss_006.png

Then just change the color from yellow to white.

InDesign CCss_007.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines