• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Place 1 column WORD with footnotes into a 2 column book with spanned footnotes.

Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID2017 - My author has submitted a single column WORD document, loaded with an unpredictable array of footnotes almost every page.     He wants a 2 column book with footnotes spanned across the full width of the page below the 2 columns.      With "span columns" selected, the document ends up with the footnotes at the bottom of their respective columns.    Spanning does not seem to work with the PLACE function.    The book will emerge with some 700+ pages with numerous footnotes for almost every page, no predictability for number of footnotes nor their individual length.   Thoughts of others?

[Moderator moved from the non-product supported Lounge to InDesign​.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

The important thing is that it works for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to pull this off, depending on how the 2-columns are set up in InDesign.

Place the Word doc into a text frame that has two columns -- not two separate text frames, a single text frame with 2 columns. With the frame selected with the black selection tool, increase the number of columns to 2:

Make sure that the default setting for footnotes to span columns is turned on in Object > Text Frame Options:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion, appreciated.      I have been partially successful.    While the eventual book will emerge at about 400+ pages, I am breaking it up into individual chapters, perceiving them to be easier to manage.     I setup a master page, then added 30 pages for the chapter I'm working on.     I then tall the master pages to apply to all pages, then save.    At this point, the master pages display is reporting that the master setup is applied to pages.   Place now drops the .docx file in with page 1 correct in columns of text, with footnotes spanning across the bottom of the page.

The following pages do not place text in 2 columns, even though I can see through the text that the 2-column master page setup is there, but for whatever reason is being ignored.   Both text and footnotes span the full width.    This where it gets interesting.....

Within the ID document, If I repeat the "page options" setup for each page one by one, I can get the desired result.   See attached screen display.

It seems that the "Apply master to all pages" is not working.   Do I have finger trouble?IMG_3227.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create a new document, these are the settings you will want. Primary text frame with 2 columns.

If you want to set up the master pages from scratch, add a text frame on both the left and the right the master page. Make sure each of the text frames has two columns in it.

Thread the frame on the left master to the frame on the right master.

When you're ready to place the Word document, put your cursor over the first column on the first regular page and click. The text should flow from one page to the next into the two column frames and any footnotes should span both columns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your help, appreciated.   Notwithstanding working at this for past 2 days, I've still got finger trouble, getting no further than previous display image.     Text flows 2 columns with spanned footnotes page 1 only, thereafter full page for all.     My master pages spread is setup for 2 column text, full span footnotes and threading turned on.      I've told it to apply to all pages, but nothing changes.

By chance, might you have a template for this situation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have solved the problem....    While the selection "apply to all pages", did not seem to work, dragging and dropping my master page in the pages did work.     The wholw of the chapter I'm working on ended up with a correct 2-column text display and full wide footnotes.    Many thanks for all your help, appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should have the drag the master page. That sounds like a bug, or a file that has gotten corrupt. I can't say for sure what's going on without examining your files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless that "apply to all pages" does not seem to work, I am comfortable with drag/drop master onto pages as perhaps an alternative undocumented feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The important thing is that it works for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines