• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop crashes when trying to export a large document format

New Here ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to export a large file (436 x 126 inches, 300 dpi), and every time I try to export, I get an error that says, "Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." This happens before the "export as" dialogue box even finishes loading, so I never even get to attempt an export. The same thing happens when I try to do a quick export.

I have tried recreating the file, and I have also tried doing this on a different computer.

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

This file is 130 800 pixels wide. That's just ridiculous.

Whoever told you that you need 300 ppi for this has no idea what he/she is talking about.

For something like this you can probably, and very comfortably, go down to 20-40 ppi. That's about 1/10 the linear pixel dimensions. And mind you, that's still a very large file, orders of magnitude larger than the Export module was designed to handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post the details in windows crash report. What is the failing module?

CC 2015 crash.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Export is for web/screen output. It's not meant to handle file sizes like this.
  2. You don't need 300ppi at this print size. That's for book and magazine print. The file is probably ten times bigger than it needs to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This file is 130 800 pixels wide. That's just ridiculous.

Whoever told you that you need 300 ppi for this has no idea what he/she is talking about.

For something like this you can probably, and very comfortably, go down to 20-40 ppi. That's about 1/10 the linear pixel dimensions. And mind you, that's still a very large file, orders of magnitude larger than the Export module was designed to handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

True. when saving in extra large format, I normally save in 100 or less dpi, since large signs like these are seen from FAR AWAY, and high res is not needed. You can't tell the difference at relatively far distances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines