• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with size of importing image which change to very small

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a problem, when I import picture to indesign it's too small. The picture has got 4437x2624 pixels and 3200 dpi, 5,44MB so i suposse it should be big. Bez tytułu.jpg

This is how it looks like in indesign , the document has got 15x21 cm.... I check in Photoshop how big is the picture and it shows me that it has got 2x3,5 cm and 33,3MB! How is that possible when my computer says that it has got 5,44MB? I don't know what to do I think that there is some mistake in my photoshop and indesign and I dont;t know how to change it. Please help!

2.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Hi paulinaw71211310 ,

will the view change if you set the view to High Quality?

Does using Overprint Preview change something?

Also check the effective PPI values in your Links panel.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you place an image in InDesign, you have the option of dropping it (click on the page) which will place the image in it's original size, or specify placement size by (click & drag) on the page.

In your scenario, it is placed at the original size created in Photoshop, since you have the image in a very high resolution, you may scale the image up proportionally on InDesign page till you're satisfied withe size.

Keep an eye on both Actual and Effective size found in the Links Panel in InDesign.

Bez tytuÅ‚u.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how it looks like when I scale the image up to the size of my page in InDesign. I just don't understand why it changes into blured photo when originaly it has got good quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi paulinaw71211310 ,

will the view change if you set the view to High Quality?

Does using Overprint Preview change something?

Also check the effective PPI values in your Links panel.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, when i change the view to High Quality it looks like original!

I checked the effective PPI values and it tells that orginal PPI is 3200 and effective PPI is 443. Should I change is somehow or is it going to destroy quality of print?

THANK YOU SO MUCH ANYWAY!

Regards

Paulina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why do you need 3200 PPI? i guess you can change it to 300 PPI. unmark "the recalculate new pixels" before you do.

If you place it in indesign after this, it will be bigger, although it won't change the quality when you go to print, but it will make the preview better i guess.

the picture is like 37x22 cm at 300 PPI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How is that possible when my computer says that it has got 5,44MB? I don't know what to do I think that there is some mistake in my photoshop

When you save as a PSD the file is compressed (the compression is lossless). The 33.2M document size you see in Photoshop is the uncompressed size. If you were to fill your document with a solid color and save, the disk file size would only be 580K because of the repeating pixels.

I checked the effective PPI values and it tells that orginal PPI is 3200 and effective PPI is 443

The effective resolution is the output resolution. When you scale an image InDesign scales or resizes the image pixels and there's no resampling. For most print applications 443ppi would be more than enough resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines