• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How much RAM is needed to perform well in After Effects?

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently I'm running my PC with a i5 4590, GTX 970, and 8GB of RAM, with a 250GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD.

In one of my videos I was editing an AMV and although I set the video quality to a quarter, the framerate was around 5fps and wouldn't budge.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

You shouldn't edit in After Effects. It is not built to edit. You should edit in Premiere Pro.

After Effects is made for motion graphics, compositing, and visual effects. And, as such, it handles video very differently from an editing program like Premiere Pro.

After Effects caches things first before it can play them back at full speed. It is possible what you are experiencing could be improved, but without knowing more about your project (as Mylenium mentions), we can't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has nothing to do with the RAM or any other hardware for that matter. If you search the forum, you will find enough threads that cover this subjects and from the endless bugs in AE CC 2015/ 2017 ever since the new preview mechanism has been introduced to wrong preview settings to specific issues with your footage and CoDecs this could be anything. You have not offered any info on that, so we can't advise specifically, but perhaps you can figure it out based on these clues. Otherwise you have to provide more info about your comp settings, items and effects used, preview settings and so on.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You shouldn't edit in After Effects. It is not built to edit. You should edit in Premiere Pro.

After Effects is made for motion graphics, compositing, and visual effects. And, as such, it handles video very differently from an editing program like Premiere Pro.

After Effects caches things first before it can play them back at full speed. It is possible what you are experiencing could be improved, but without knowing more about your project (as Mylenium mentions), we can't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines